• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

A new type of combat system[need feedback]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi guys....
I don't know if this is the correct sub-forum for this but i found this more appropriate.

I am thinking of making a new type of combat system a little inspired from wow but some changes here and there.
It is for rpg type games

At first the movement of the hero will be like warcraft -3 like click type movement. And we cannot deselect he hero the hero will be automatically selected if we click some other point.

The camera is not locked on the hero though. I have played many games with camera locked but it is actually very difficult and annoying. Though the camera has a limit form the position of the hero. If the camera is moved far, it again comes back to the hero.

Then which we click on another unit, its life bar, mana bar comes on the top of the screen in a multiboard along with his buffs, debuffs.
You own buffs, debuffs along with the duration are also shown on the multiboard.

The spells are based on the base ability channel. When we cast a spell, it first checks if the targeted unit is 30 degree angel of which the hero is facing. Then it turns to the targeted unit and casts the spell. Or it says not facing the target.

General spells go into this category there will be aoe spells and targeting spells.

And for melee attack, the hero wont auto attack. There will be a bar in the multiboard which depends upon the speed of the weapon. Like it loads... And when it is max we can press a key to attack and it deals damage depending upon how much the bar was loaded. After one attack the bar starts loading again. The damage depends upon the loading of the bar.
The melee also follows the same rules for facing as spell. And the bar starts loading only if u hvae selected a target and that target is in 300 aoe of you.
Before the attack if target moves out of your attack range, The attack fails.

So any thoughts of this system. Well it be good for arena type maps and rpgs maps? Anything that can be added or removed?
And, are all the things here code-able? To my best knowledge they are..

Level 7
i have many spells that need constantly used spaming them and clicking them will be really annoying. Some thing like in wow.

And i am making a arena type of map which would need skill. Something diffrent than what already exsist. So the newsystem.

Auto attack has been boring. So this thing..

And for the buffs, we can't know the buff duration. And in other cases when we move with other hero, we can't see other units life, mana, buffs, debuffs, their duration etc. So this will help in it.

So this will help in making things more skill oriented aswell as more fun to use without having a lot of downside to it.

most of these systems already exist and what doesn't can easily be coded wether these systems that you make are good or bad will be determined by their structure, and user friendliness

I think i have to code everything.. Cause things i think are complicated like having a stat haste that increases buffs ticking speed or the melee delay speed etc.

Level 19
And for the buffs, we can't know the buff duration.
What?

And i am making a arena type of map
But in first post you said RPG?

i have many spells that need constantly used spaming them and clicking them will be really annoying. Some thing like in wow.
??????

I still don't get why you need such a system?
What is the point of making something that already exists?
Why don't first come up with an UNIQUE idea before asking us for feedback?

Level 8
Hi guys....
I don't know if this is the correct sub-forum for this but i found this more appropriate.

I am thinking of making a new type of combat system a little inspired from wow but some changes here and there.
It is for rpg type games

At first the movement of the hero will be like warcraft -3 like click type movement. And we cannot deselect he hero the hero will be automatically selected if we click some other point.

The camera is not locked on the hero though. I have played many games with camera locked but it is actually very difficult and annoying. Though the camera has a limit form the position of the hero. If the camera is moved far, it again comes back to the hero.

Then which we click on another unit, its life bar, mana bar comes on the top of the screen in a multiboard along with his buffs, debuffs.
You own buffs, debuffs along with the duration are also shown on the multiboard.

The spells are based on the base ability channel. When we cast a spell, it first checks if the targeted unit is 30 degree angel of which the hero is facing. Then it turns to the targeted unit and casts the spell. Or it says not facing the target.

General spells go into this category there will be aoe spells and targeting spells.

And for melee attack, the hero wont auto attack. There will be a bar in the multiboard which depends upon the speed of the weapon. Like it loads... And when it is max we can press a key to attack and it deals damage depending upon how much the bar was loaded. After one attack the bar starts loading again. The damage depends upon the loading of the bar.
The melee also follows the same rules for facing as spell. And the bar starts loading only if u hvae selected a target and that target is in 300 aoe of you.
Before the attack if target moves out of your attack range, The attack fails.

So any thoughts of this system. Well it be good for arena type maps and rpgs maps? Anything that can be added or removed?
And, are all the things here code-able? To my best knowledge they are..

You better make it to be auto-cast spell

Level 7
What?

But in first post you said RPG?

??????

I still don't get why you need such a system?
What is the point of making something that already exists?
Why don't first come up with an UNIQUE idea before asking us for feedback?

Its not a unique idea? its already been done in warcraft3? I didn't know about it then. Are there any maps having all these features that i said?

Ya i am thinking of a arena + a rpg map
Like first i will create the arena map with bosses 3 men, 5 men 10 men etc and duel 1v1 2v2 3v3 5v5 etc

Then work on the rpg.

You better make it to be auto-cast spell

Have you played world of warcraft? Its like we have to use one spell after another every 1.5 seconds.. But here in wc3, using the hotkey then clicking on the target then another hotkey for another spell then clicking. Along with a lot of movement as this is a arena kind of map so it would involve a lot of movement, triggered boss fight etc. Using dispels to remove debuffs, using dispel to dispel certain buff of enemy unit etc etc that are not possible in warcraft 3 default system.

Last edited:
Level 17
Have you played world of warcraft? Its like we have to use one spell after another every 1.5 seconds.. But here in wc3, using the hotkey then clicking on the target then another hotkey for another spell then clicking. Along with a lot of movement as this is a arena kind of map so it would involve a lot of movement, triggered boss fight etc. Using dispels to remove debuffs, using dispel to dispel certain buff of enemy unit etc etc that are not possible in warcraft 3 default system.

actually in wow certain spells do not share a cooldown and they may be cast freely after others without waiting the 1.5 second mass cooldown

using dispells to remove debuffs specifically does not exist but you can remove all buffs with several spells i beleive the wand of negation ability only removes allied buffs but not sure

Level 7
Yes, so putting the entire WoW combat system into a older, 11 years old engine is UNIQUE?
Don't you, for a second think, people would rather play WoW instead of your map?

All you told me so far is already made into WoW, all you do is COPY something from WoW
and put it into Warcraft...

In wow we don't move by clicking.
And in wow there is no loading bar for melee.
I made a table like at what% of the loading of the bar how much damage will be dealt.
I am also thought of a lot of features for each hero. Like archers will have to choose arrow then the type of spell they want to cast and aim and cast it. Then there will choose arrows by another system like choosing missiles.
Well i have thought a lot of things any way..

Ya but you are correct the spell casting thing is like wow but i can't think of any alternative which allows the freedom of casting spells without clicking hundred times. Even so, i am not creating anything like wow though something inspired by it. At-least "i guess it" will be better than the default warcraft 3 system. At that is the point of doing this. Even though its a little copy, i feel it might be better than the warcraft3 system. It will allow to see enemy's health. And i said there is a lot of movement here and there so warcraft-3 ways of clicking and clicking will be very very annoying.
I want to make something in warcraft3 that will require skills to play even in 1v1 combats both having the same heros. Like going back of the enemy unit to attack, using fast but less damage attacks when needed and powerful attacks when you have time.
There will be some projectiles which will be ground target-able so you need to move form its direction. As far as i know there will be know spell in wow which is used by targeting.

Then there is a spell in which a hero's attack or spell spawn blades that spin around him. and he can change the distance of the blades which were spinning around him so that they hit the enemy.

So yes the combat system is something i coped form wow. but no as a whole i am not making a wow duplicate.

But the problem i am facing now is when i create a multiboard and select a unit. I want its icon to be placed there. But the multi board gap between the rows is making it ugly.
like this
38828305.png

As multiboard can't keep large icons. I tried to make 9 small icons to fit there.
This is the only large icon that will be in multiboard though. The buffs and debuffs etc will be smaller.

Is there a way to solve it?
Or using trackables will be better than this?

Status
Not open for further replies.