• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

A request for some assistance with 2 abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I want to apologize ahead of time for my lack of knowledge on WC3 Triggering. I used to be really big on this, but the real world pulled me away for a good many months.

But now I'm back and I'm trying to comprehend and find some comprehension on the WC3 trigger editor.

2 Abilities that I'm trying to trigger/create are for an agility based RPG Vampire character with some dark powers.

One is a bit more complex then the other.

The easier of the 2 is to represent his ability to Avoid attacks by dashing around to evade them while attacking, and would be the Shadow Strafe

He has a moderately high passive evasion as is. What i want to create is a hero spell that when leveled up, there is another chance, that on a hit, he dances around the enemy per se, ofsetting him from infront of the enemy to attack from the side and/or put some distance between the 2.

The basics i have for it is a 2 part spell. An activation spell for the buff, but i'm having trouble triggering that when this buff is active, when hit, there is a % chance of moving the hero to a random direction (greater then 180 degrees from the front of the character, so the sides and behind) facing the enemy by a random amount of short distance and attacking. (like 100-250)

Since he's naturally faster in speed, turn radius, and attack speed, this will put him at an initiative advantage as he dodges to behind the enemy and attacks.

The harder one of the 2 is a Shadow Dash ability/attack.

The object is for him to Dash in a straight Line with a nifty shadowy trail (up to a range of 800 i suppose). Any units caught within the path would take minor damage, and be knocked up into the air and stunned for x amount of seconds.

The idea behind it would be to create an invisible caster to cast a long and narrow shockwave which kind of marks all the units it touches, and does y amount of damage. The Character at the same time is Moved to the target location via trigger. And then a trigger that effects all that were hit with shockwave with the impale ability and knocks them up into the air and stuns them.

this one just boggles my mind, unfortunately. I know what is needed to work, i now what its intended to do, but i can't seem to build it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Level 10
the first one you could use random integars so that each time the spell is activated he might be in a different position but still next to the attacking unit.

and for the second one.. perhaps you could show your trigger so we can better evaluate it?

PS: i didnt exactly get the first one to work, but that is my guess.

Level 2
Well, So far so good i Guess.

But i don't know how to group together the targets that got hit with the shadow dash ability. If i knew how to do that, i could apply the effect on them for the knockup.

Is there any easy way to copy trigger data without having to type it? Its getting pretty late and i'm running out of time.

To sum it up, I got the shockwave to damage them. ( had to lower the missile speed significantly) And i got him to cast it and teleport. I had to put a .5 second delay in or the shockwave doesn't get cast.

So i got him to move back and forth (with no effect) and do damage. But how can i group those that got hit by the shockwave into 1 category? Should i setup an invisible caster to perform another spell that Marks them with some random buff, then have a trigger setup to Knock up any targets that have that mark? that would seem to drain alot of processes though to have it check that often.

Level 10
you can copy the spell by right clicking the trigger name unde trigger functions(bottom right, after you have chosen a trigger). and sorry i dont know about the knockup part.

Level 2
Well, here's how i have it triggered so far.

So far so good, but now i have to setup an invisible caster to cast the second spell at the same time as the first.

Thank God for the flexibility of impale.

I pretty much have it setup like this.

First ability, Shockwave (i love the ground ripple)
Range 800, Area of effect 100, (what is final area of effect good for? I set it same as Area of effect)

I had to set the projectile Speed to a relatively slow, around 2000. I found that in some maps, if people try to set this too high for that "Super speed" effect, the spell goes too fast and misses all the targets it has been cast on. (I tested this with a 1500 range line of guys shockwave at 10000 speed and it only hit the ones furthest out at around 1400-1500 range where it ended and got caught by the final Area of effect i assume)

Second ability, Impale base
Range 800, Area of Effect 100, Speed 2000, Knockup 1.33, Stun 1/1.5 (I decided to keep this a constant value that doesn't level up. It saves on triggering unless there's a way to link this spell to the other 6 level shadow dash spell to level up together without having to trigger a new effect for this spell for every level of shadow dash.)

====

from here i played with triggering. I figure i'd start with the easy part. (I can't even get a stupid Targetting Dummy to explode on Death no matter how it dies, tis a sad day)

I setup the trigger pretty basic.

A unit begins casting an ability

Ability being cast = Shadow Dash

Create variable integer for the special effects i want tagging the character.

create special effects xxx at hand right hand left and origin 1, 2 and 3. This was pretty difficult to sync up, because without the right timing the effects would go away. 3rd time's a charm though

Wait .15 seconds. (if you make this any sooner, the Charater doesn't cast the spell and just bounces back and forth with the effect without dealing damage or doing anything the spell is meant to do. Would this change if i made a "begins the effect of an ability?"

move such and such instantly to Point Selected area

Wait .25 seconds

Remove spell effects from integer A variable effects.

===============================

Now, I don't know remember how to have the dummy caster spawn invisible at the location of Caster and wait .2 seconds and cast the impale ability (with all effects removed)

This would sync up with the shockwave ability and knock all targets into the air as the character dashes forward.

Any help with this part would be greatly appreciated. I have a generic unit setup as the dummy caster with locust and invulnerable, but i just can't remember how to get him to autocast the power =/

Level 2
I've run into another problem now.

I have both spells setup and i need to link them, but the impale spell that knocks the enemy up is bugged.

No matter what special effects i remove, it always has the spikes come up and hit the target knocking them up into the air.

I don't know how to get rid of this. I went into the buff/effect editor and changed impale (assuming that it was somehow hard linked to this buff) I removed the impale buff.

But now when i cast the ability, nothing happens to the unit. THey stand there like nothing happened for 1.33 seconds then are stunned and invulnerable.

Is there ANY way to knock them up without this stupid effect? I tried cyclone, but they no longer fall, they go up and teleport down. Same with tornado. I can't think of anything else really.

How can i get rid of the spikes and still knock the opponents into the air?

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.