• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Aurora Borealis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I have finished this, kinda :/ if there's anything that you think needs to be add ill try my best to put it in! So here's something i was inspired to do last night, obviously with a sight of the Northern Lights in mind.

*SECOND IS UPDATE*

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_030610_221039_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_030610_221039_01.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 324
  • WC3ScrnShot_030710_101035_03.png
    WC3ScrnShot_030710_101035_03.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Level 4
nice update but i see there is almost nothing on the right up corner (the 3 trees)

Level 18
those mountains need a bit more help.

Im sure that the aurora borealis is located in northpole and southpole. There shouldn't be grass there or anything. For something like this you need to use all snow and very little trees/grass

I suggest the use of more snow, rock models and those dead trees. And again point out the mountains are very ill-structured.

Other then those, the aurora itself looks great. make them a bit wider so that they blend in more, and itll be awsome.

Level 14
aurora borealis is only on the north pole (australis=south). and ofc there are no trees/plants on either of these poles (on Earth).
firstly, the picture doesnt necessarily have to be "taken" on earth. i could, well for example, be in the world of warcraft.
secondly, aurorae are visible from distance. you dont have to be on the pole to see them. i for example live in estonia (59°N) and i have seen aurora borealis.

but for one thing i do think that the aurora should be behind (not infront) of the mountain. though i dont know how easy it is to make it that way :(

Im sure that the aurora borealis is located in northpole and southpole. There shouldn't be grass there or anything. For something like this you need to use all snow and very little trees/grass

Who cares? This is just a game. Why can't have a place in world of warcraft with auroras and grass? Also, if he had to focus on realism, he should delete every tree, because if you type "North Pole" in Google Earth, you will see just snow, snow, and more snow.

Nice pic. It's clear and nice. I would play on it. +rep

Level 14
I have to disagree with the fact of "only being seen in the north and south poles" Thats just lunacy. They are primarily recorded in Alaska. Where it is common knowledge that there are in fact, trees and grass.

However i will work on the blending of the lights and more overall likes. As well as the snow issues. But i must know what exactly is wrong with the mountains, and at what points they are "ill-structured"?

Thanks for all the comments!

Level 18
1) Mountains are soft and smooth from long distances. Your mountains are okay, but there are points where they become to pointy and deformed to be seen as mountains.

2) The hills you have are basically covering up most of the mountains, this poses a real problem with the scaling of your terrain. Making the hill a bit more naturally smoother and smaller will still wield the same effect as if they were that tall and you can show off those pretty mountains.

3) in other words, make the mountains in the back huge and smooth it out . Make sure the fog covers them and that they arnt pointy. As for the hill make it small and show a progression of size as the fog recedes into the background. Sorry this is the only way i can put it.

ya i was wrong about the poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.