• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Campaign File Optimization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I know there have been threads about this in the past but there's never been a result.
I wonder if anyone has figured out how to optimize campaign files, resulting in reduced file size
at the cost of being not able to open the file in the editor.

I would much like to reduce loading times by decreasing the size of the campaign file - optimizing
the maps doesn't do as much as you might think.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 70
I think the maps are the main reason for the loading times so you have to find out what exactly does that. Problem is, those things might not be fixable or possible without radical change. I remember lots of object data things like huge levels for abilities slow the editor down, probably the map too. Another thing might be many periodic events and leaks that gather over time from repeating triggers pertaining abilities, training/creating units.

I know this post wasn't really helpful, but I think the solution would lie in the maps themselves and you should search what slows down loading times of maps instead. What I'm saying, programs like Vexorian's Optimizer might not be enough and rethinking of ways of using things like triggers and object data are needed. Another thing to know is units and especially doodads. When these are very many in one map, the loading time considerable slows.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 70
The imported assets increase the loading time much more than the maps do, I have tested this in the past.
I import everything into the campaign file, not the map file.
Hmm. If you're 100% about that, then, that's a bummer. Moving them in each map would be painstaking but might relieve the issue with the downside of more HDD space being required.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 70
Not sure if this helps that much but maybe it's worth a shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.