• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Can't open a map no matter what

Level 2
Good day ppls, i'm trying to fix this problem with a map, if anyone could offer insights i would be very grateful =)
I have this map i was working on in early 2022, after a patch in august i believe 1.30 or something i was never able to open that map again
I Had a few higher res custom units and was starting to learn more complex functionalities of the world editor.

I have tried everything to open it again, but i can't. it starts to load and then the world editor crashes

I have tried:
1. Donwload warcraft 1.26, 1.30, 1.31 and use the world map didn't work
2. I downloaded hive's software when i heard it could open maps like this. didn't work (it doesn't read w3 directory or smth)
3. reinstall the game
4. Change the location folder of the game, and install it in diferent directories.

When i try to play the map inside w3 it functions normally, it just won't open on the world editor

Anyone has any idea on what else i could do? i really wanted to finish a map for once..

Just FYI: patch 1.31 was released june 2019 (aka, the last pre-reforged patch).
The patch in august 2022 was 1.33 and that's a patch that updated the model format of Reforged among other things.
If you opened it in that editor and saved you must use that version or later in order to continue (or some tool to "downgrade it", if such a tool exist).

Last edited:
Level 11
Hey there if your problem is in Reforged. This is a known bug with Custom Models. Mostly it's not the models fault its the World Editor after a patch in that times. If you did not see the newest popular Campaign Warcraft II has the same bug.

How can you resolve the bug? Open you World Editor go to Preferences. In General down you will find Asset Mode. Change it to SD. Exit World Editor then try to open your map. Open your map delete your unit from the Terrain and summon those units with Trigger, Jass or Lua.

That's basically it. Was in same trouble as you are.

Last edited:
Level 2
Hey there if your problem is in Reforged. This is a known bug with Custom Models. Mostly it's not the models fault its the World Editor after a patch in that times. If you did not see the newest popular Campaign Warcraft II has the same bug.

How can you resolve the bug? Open you World Editor go to Preferences. In General down you will find Asset Mode. Change it to SD. Exit World Editor then try to open your map. Open your map delete your unit from the Terrain and summon that unit with Trigger, Jass or Lua.

That's basically it. Was in same trouble as you are.
by the gods... there is so much i need to re-do now. but at least it is working now. (it opened an older version after switching to SD)

Thanks for the help =)