• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Changing maps in the same level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
[Solved] Changing maps in the same level

I was wondering how to change maps during the same level. With this, I mean what Blizzard used with the Rexxar bonus campaign. There, when you entered a region, you would go to a complete new map in the same 'level' of the campaign. Does anyone know how I can do that?
It is not necessary to keep the unit who enters the region, but it is essential to prevent the map you travel to from showing up in the campaign screen. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Level 18
It is a single-player campaign, just like Rexxar's. The only thing different between my campaign and Rexxar's (besides the storyline) is that mine should have a portal to another map, but you don't go back. So I assume that's basically done by not making a portal back to the first map.

Level 19
I dont, You dont, Rexxar Campaign does
Why dont you get a mpq browser and check that campaign maps

Level 17
No see, what VQuest does is set Camera borders to different regions of the map so it SEEMS like your switching maps, but its all the same one.

Rexxar uses Game caches, think of it as saving your hero, and then loading it right after you enter the next map.

Level 18
Exactly. There really got to be a loading screen when I change maps. I know I got to use game cache's to save info I need for the next map, but the question still is: How do I change maps like in Rexxar's Campaign?

The only thing I got for a MPQ browser is the War3 Viewer in the Tools Section, but that 1 only shows units, effects and other stuff happening inside the map. I'm going to check that section again now to see if there are any MPQ browsers I can use.

EDIT: Ok, I got PowerMPQ now, but I have no idea where to look or how to check how they did it. Unless I just need a different MPQ browser, then please tell me what you suggest.

Last edited:
Level 18
I found it. It's named as a level instead of a map :gg:
  • Game - Save game as SaveFile.w3z and change level to Maps\MapName.w3x (Skip scores)
Now I need to know how to prevent a save game from happening (I think that might be done by clearing the value of 'SaveFile.w3z'. Then that spot in the Action is automatically filled with '<Empty String>'. Anybody knows if that would work?)
I also need to know how to get the maps directly into the MPQ file of the person downloading my campaign, or another way to refer the level being opened to the map that has been downloaded. If there is no way to do this, I'll be forced to write a readme, so people can be instructed on how to insert it themselves.

EDIT: Sorry, it didn't show your post yet when I opened this page, Eleandor. I'll check it out and post when I got questions then. The above called questions do not need to be answered yet, but I keep them there, so I don't have to type them over again if I still have that same problem after reading the link you posted. :wink:

Last edited:
Level 18
Yes, there is. I'm reading the tutorial Eleandor linked me first, so I fully understand the trigger and know how to use and apply it to my campaign.

EDIT: Ok, I've done the whole tutorial. It doesn't completely work yet, but all I need for my campaign does work. Thanks everybody for the help! This will allow me to make a campaign where you can choose which side you want to play on during that map :thumbs_up:
+Rep for the great help!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.