• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Changing Orb of Cold Debuff and Removing Graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
As the title entails i'm trying to edit the orb of cold to make it a unit ability that slows on hit, because i need it to be passive.

Where is the value to change the amount of slow for AttackSpeed/MoveSpeed for the Orb of cold. I need it (even if it's a global change for the orb of cold effect) changed as well as i don't want anything to happen to the person hit by it (i.e. they turn a solid blueish color). I need to remove the graphic because for this ability they aren't being slowed by frost of any kind.

I'm sure this is a basic thing, i just can't seem to find it =/

Level 26
you could base it on orb of lightnign and change following things:

turn chance to 100%
change the frost arrow skill to a non hero skill
change the used skill to your created frost arrow skill

But you can also take a look on the testmap

Edit:You can change the blueish color under: object editor->effects

Last edited:
Level 4
It sounded like it should work. But on your testmap it didn't slow him, even when i tweaked the ability (Shadowstrike) appropriately. It finally slowed him when i added the damage back in (strange) but then it wouldn't work unless i targeted him with the attack command.

Do you know of a way to change the global stats for the slow effect on the orb of cold? It looks like that will be the simplest way to do this. I thought your idea would work, but i remember now that i'd tried that before and it's not working right for me for some reason =/

Ty though, i wish it had worked.

Level 4
I've tried the orb of slow already, and i've tried working triggers the other way (giving speed to attacker as opposed to taking speed from the attacked) and they haven't worked: So thank you for trying :thumbs_up: we'll just need to see if someone else knows how.

I still need this information:
1. How to change the global orb of cold debuff to:
- slow MoveSpeed 50%
- leave AttackSpeed Unchanged
- Not turn the target blue
2. Any other way to slow JUST an attacked unit's MoveSpeed by 50% every time they are hit without any visual effects (i'd like a buff on the target though explaining what's happening)

Level 4
Bump! I still need help with this, i thought it was a simple value somewhere in the editor that i just couldn't find. I'm continuing to experiment with other abilities even now... if you can offer any assistance please do.

Level 4
They both use the same base frost attack that the orb of cold does, they all give the same amount of attack speed slow and the look of the debuff that i don't want. I can't find any passive slow ability that activates on every hit without turning the target blue and slowing attack speed as well.

i want no visual effects, just a 50% movespeed reduction and a buff to appear on the status bar. that's it.

Level 12
They both use the same base frost attack that the orb of cold does, they all give the same amount of attack speed slow and the look of the debuff that i don't want. I can't find any passive slow ability that activates on every hit without turning the target blue and slowing attack speed as well.

i want no visual effects, just a 50% movespeed reduction and a buff to appear on the status bar. that's it.

Why don't you just trigger the orb?

Attach whatever graphic to your weapon, then trigger it:

When hero attacks, random 1-100 < or > proc rate, create dummy, cast slow on unit. Edit a spell to slow, but have no graphic effect.

Level 4
i figured that creating a dummy would lag up the game too much since it would need to be recast every single time any unit in the entire game was ever hit. but if i have no other option then it will have to do

Vegavak: Could you please, then, point me to a tutorial on how to create and use a dummy? Or give me some basic instruction? I guess i could always create a new thread or look for an old one- but i need to sleep now so that can all wait for tomorrow.

Everyone Else: If anyone knows the solution to my problem (How to change the game settings for the frost attack added with the 'orb of cold' or used by the Nerubian Tower, i.e. changing the amount of slowing that it does and changing the spell graphics) please help me out. I'd rather change this than take the easy way out by triggering the whole thing. If i always take the easy way out of everything by learning shortcuts then what am i really learning? right?

Level 12
i figured that creating a dummy would lag up the game too much since it would need to be recast every single time any unit in the entire game was ever hit. but if i have no other option then it will have to do

Vegavak: Could you please, then, point me to a tutorial on how to create and use a dummy? Or give me some basic instruction? I guess i could always create a new thread or look for an old one- but i need to sleep now so that can all wait for tomorrow.

Everyone Else: If anyone knows the solution to my problem (How to change the game settings for the frost attack added with the 'orb of cold' or used by the Nerubian Tower, i.e. changing the amount of slowing that it does and changing the spell graphics) please help me out. I'd rather change this than take the easy way out by triggering the whole thing. If i always take the easy way out of everything by learning shortcuts then what am i really learning? right?

If you don't know what dummy units and trigger enhanced spells are, you should go read up on it before you ask more questions.

Search for it. Creating threads, when a simple search would do, merits bad rep.

Level 4
I'm aware that i should search first... i just need a guru to tell me "no you can't change those effects" here and then i'll start working on an alternative.

If anyone knows the solution to my problem (How to change the game settings for the frost attack added with the 'orb of cold' or used by the Nerubian Tower, i.e. changing the amount of slowing that it does and changing the spell graphics) please help me out.

Level 12
You should start working on an alternative solution, Glory.

At least then you'd have something that worked. Be that it may- not be as you had originally liked- it would, at least, work.

Level 19
Orb of Slow with %100 chance

Dont forget
Unit is Attacked
order Attacking unit to Attacked unit

Chanced orbs dont work if unit aquires target itself
you need that order trigger

Level 4
am i just braindead? where do i change the stats for the orb of slow? i don't want any attack speed reduction or spell graphic (i don't know if it has a graphic, i haven't tested it)

i can always turn the bonus damage off... but there's no value for the amount of move and attack speed slow...

Level 12
am i just braindead? where do i change the stats for the orb of slow? i don't want any attack speed reduction or spell graphic (i don't know if it has a graphic, i haven't tested it)

i can always turn the bonus damage off... but there's no value for the amount of move and attack speed slow...

Have you checked the ability editor? Sounds to me like you didn't even bother.

Level 4
Yes i did. I wouldn't say that it wasn't going to work if i hadn't. It does the same thing as the orb of cold. I can change the proc % chance and the bonus damage, but i can't ever change the % slow. i didn't need to test it out in the game to see if there was a graphic or not because i couldn't change the values.

@ Vegavak: I have grown weary of your one-line, often helpless, posts. It may just be me- but they have a tendancy to offend me, so please do not post on my threads anymore. Don't even bother responding to this post. Thank you.

Level 12
Yes i did. I wouldn't say that it wasn't going to work if i hadn't. It does the same thing as the orb of cold. I can change the proc % chance and the bonus damage, but i can't ever change the % slow. i didn't need to test it out in the game to see if there was a graphic or not because i couldn't change the values.

@ Vegavak: I have grown weary of your one-line, often helpless, posts. It may just be me- but they have a tendancy to offend me, so please do not post on my threads anymore. Don't even bother responding to this post. Thank you.

I have given you an alternative solution. One requiring minor triggerwork. You ignored it and requested alternatives.

If anything- you have spit in my face and shown how much you appreciate any help a person here may give.

Level 4
Have you checked the ability editor? Sounds to me like you didn't even bother.

that didn't seem very helpful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the title entails i'm trying to edit the orb of cold to make it a unit ability that slows on hit, because i need it to be passive.

Where is the value to change the amount of slow for AttackSpeed/MoveSpeed for the Orb of cold. I need it (even if it's a global change for the orb of cold effect) changed as well as i don't want anything to happen to the person hit by it (i.e. they turn a solid blueish color). I need to remove the graphic because for this ability they aren't being slowed by frost of any kind.

I'm sure this is a basic thing, i just can't seem to find it =/

As you can see i did not ask for an alternative, and when you suggested one i said, politely, that i was more interested in finding the answer to my original question. And when i asked you to help me with making a dummy unit by pointing me to a tutorial (copy/paste a link is all it would've taken!) or show me some basic triggerwork (now you, yourself, have said that it's relatively simple) and you ignored my request for help then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And i find your attitude reprehensible, yes, but that is not a reflection on anyone else here. You are inappropriately making yourself the figurehead for this community, but i think that's very low of you- to say that because i have a problem with you i have a problem with everyone.

now PLEASE do not post in this thread, there is no reason- i will not respond to any more of your posts except through pms. i suggest you do the same to save everyone from accidentally reading this in the "help" thread.

Last edited:
Level 12
You wanted to change the frost debuff. You searched for it, no one came up with a solution- perhaps it's hardcoded and you can't change it.

So I gave you what you specified: A debuff with no graphic and a snare.

I suggest you try not to get stuck on minor things such as this, just because you refuse to use an alternative that works.

Good luck.

Level 4
i've tried those also but it looks like all of the slow/cold effects that can be triggered passively have their Mspeed Aspeed and spell effects hard-coded =/ i guess i'm turning to triggers now. If someone knew it was hardcoded they would've said so by now, or if they knew that it wasn't then they would've said something by now too. So new question:

Does anyone know of a way to make a unit's attack slow its enemies by 50% every time it hits, and hastens the attacker by 100% every time it hits for 5-15 seconds (not stacking for additional hits, simply re-initializes)? I can't figure out how to run triggers and i haven't been able to grasp the concept of dummy unit yet.

Level 19
MY WAY WORKS

for second you need a trigger to speed you up (dummy casts blood lust) for hastening yourself. for slowing just use poison attack thing

Level 9
Yes, GloryBlade, you're going to need to trigger. Need_O2's way is quite effective. (Make sure you add an expiration timer on the dummy units so it won't lag up the game.)

Level 4
ok, i figured out some of that in between checking this post. I made a dummy unit with bloodlust and a trigger to make it cast automatically every time a unit attacks, but i need a bunch of them because the delay keeps one from casting 50 bloodlusts simultaneously.

BUT

i put them on the map IN THE MAP EDITOR, i didn't make a trigger to spawn them. So i have something like 50 of them stacked and looking at 40 units engaged in combat is like watching a slideshow of screenshots taken every 10 seconds of the game...

I was looking for tutorials on dummy units but they were all super long, and people were talking about how they had memory leaks and whatnot. I'm going to try to do what you guys are saying, but i'm not sure that i possess enough technical knowledge about triggers to do it correctly. If you know of a simple tutorial or if you could throw a line or two of triggers that'll make the game not lag then that'd be great! mostly i need to know how to give a unit an expiration timer

And thank you a TON for the help! I thought i was going to have to scrap the system because of the lag =/ (even if the triggers work, i still worry that i may have to scrap the system because the game could potentially be spawning 200 dummy units at once...)

EDIT: Thank you so much! I'd completely forgotten about the slow poison ability. You're a life-saver a thousand times over! :)

EDIT TWO: Ok i've everything's good, the lag has cut down to nothing since i finished the triggerwork- and it's stupendous guys! Really, thanks a thousand times over for the help! This was one of the most important features of my map, and you guys helped make it work! woohoo! i'm super-excited, you have no idea. Now the only time the game lags is when i have the camera over where all the spawning and expiring is taking place (expiration timer is set for 1 second) i have about 50-100 explosions per second going off in the same exact place and it makes the game freeze up a bit. I can think of two solutions:

1. You guys know some way of making this go away (i removed the 'art - special' value from the building, but i couldn't figure out how to make the unit not have a model, so i'm using the human scout tower model)
2. i just create a location (then get some help figuring out how to make it not leak) that's either off of the camera bounds or so obscure no one will ever see it

either way is a 100% acceptable method of completeing this mechanic for me, the important part is done. Thank you guys so much for all the help!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.