• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Changing the cost of a unit at run-time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
There is a function GetUnitGoldCost(unitId) etc, but I can't find any way of setting the cost of a unit/upgrade at run time.

I realize this can be done in the object editor when creating the map, but I want to change the cost of certain things depending on game conditions.

For example, how could you change the cost of upgrade to a keep and/or castle using a trigger/jass code?

Is this possible?

Thanks

Level 12
By creating multiple versions of the same unit using different costs for each variation, you can achieve this effect with a few simple triggers.

Level 4
From what you're saying, I understand you mean to create different versions of the unit/upgrade with different costs in the object editor, then select from there at run-time. However, I want the code to be able to run on a map that contains default data. I don't want it to be dependent on the map being edited. This is why I need to be able to change the cost at run time.

It's actually to fix a bug in the AI where in a melee map GetUnitGoldCost() returns the combined costs of (for example) a castle (1065 gold) when in realitiy it only costs 360 gold. So what happens is the AI wait until they get 1065 gold to upgrade to a castle thus putting them at a disadvantage over the human player.

To fix this inconsistency in the AI, I at least need to be able to change the cost temporarily, but at run-time only (so it can run with any map - even melee).

Actually, what would be better is if I could change UseRelativeUpgradeCosts at run-time (game constant) since this is the root of the AI bug which does not take this into consideration. But I see no way to access it using code either :( But I'd still have to change the upgrade cost.

THere must be some way to change the cost of an upgrade/unit on the fly in trigger/jass code (I hope).

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
Thanks for the info.

I'll just have to fix the bug in common.ai by writing my own OneBuildLoop() in my AI files instead of calling PlayGame() in main(). Not a big deal, but I was hoping there was a quicker/easier solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.