• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Custom Ability Leveling System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Custom Hero Ability Leveling System

Updated post with the new MUI version!! Check it out!!

Explaination:
This is a unique dialog based leveling system. There is currently no other like this that I know of and I'm very proud that I invented it.

How it works:
  • You buy your abilities from any shop (4 normal abilities and 1 ultimate).
  • Use your "Hero Abilities" Skill
  • A dialog box will appear.
  • Click the button of the ability you wish to level or "Cancel" to close it.
  • Your ability will be added if not already known and leveled up if it is known.
  • The Dialog will reappear if you have more unused skill points (Skill points are based off your current available food).

Features:
-Custom hero ability leveling
-Ability to repick your skills
-Limits the number of different abilities learnable
-Uses variables to calculate available skill points
-Button triggered skill selection (Just like normal selection for preset heros)
-Multi-User friendly
-Now displays current ability levels

Drawbacks:
-Only works with 1 Hero per player.

Future Planned Features:
-Variable triggered skill points instead of using food - Already Implemented
-MUI version - Already Implemented
-Other ideas..?

Please check it out and leave feedback!! MUI version now uploaded, supports up to 8 players (can be adjusted for more if needed)!

Attachments

• Custom Ability Leveling System v1.1.w3x
    46.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Level 10
Well you can make skills items on a shop and when a unit picks one you would give the item to the player but of course remove it immediately and then add an ability as the same item. You could also get the string name of it and then give the same string as ability using jass I think but I'm not 100% sure. Ask PurplePoot if he knows. If not then you might use arrays or for the worst situation you have to trigger them all one by one.

Level 4
Ok, I'll check it out.

Im always against Dialogues thou, unless there a one of menu for starting up the map such as game modes.
Would a spellbook not work out better?

Well this system is for leveling the abilities..not using them :p

Well you can make skills items on a shop and when a unit picks one you would give the item to the player but of course remove it immediately and then add an ability as the same item. You could also get the string name of it and then give the same string as ability using jass I think but I'm not 100% sure. Ask PurplePoot if he knows. If not then you might use arrays or for the worst situation you have to trigger them all one by one.

I'm not exactly shure what your getting at.. The idea behind this was to be able to buy an item from a shop - remove the item and add the spell to the hero. Well without this system the heros could geniuinely buy a vast array of spells with no ideal way to limit the number of different spells they can have.

Not only does it limit them like I just stated in the above paragrap but it also makes it so they can level them up as if they were preset skills rather than custom hero skills. Without this system you would normally just add the skill when they buy the item or level it when they buy the item. Well now it levels when they are ready to level it and it does it in a way that it resembles how you would level abilities of pre-set heros.

Edit: Just finished the new and improved MUI version, check first post for the DL!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.