• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Custom Spell HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I'm making a custom spell which is just envenomed spears but for a hero and i'm not sure on what to put for damage, how to balance this spell out, for levels 1, 2 and 3 what should the damage per second be? and how long should the poison last on the enemy? i'm trying to make it not too powerful and not too weak, thanks in advance :)

Level 12
There's a ton of extra info we would need, I'm afraid. In my map, regular units have ~500 health and heroes can have anywhere from 500-3000 health, depending on level, items, and how they allocate their stat points. Health regeneration and regular damage are quite high, though, so I'd probably want the poison to be dealing at least 20 damage per second at level 1.

However, in the normal, vanilla game, 20 damage per second poison would absolutely crush everything. Maybe not to the point of just steam rolling, but I think it would be so powerful that it would ruin the game.

Just note that this ability is an orb effect (or maybe buff placer, I'm not sure), so you cannot use something like mask of death with this ability. This ability also does not stack the way some people think. It stacks perfectly if two units with it hit the same unit, but if one unit hits a unit with it multiple times, it still only has 1 stack. Basically, the number of stacks is the number of different units with the ability that has hit them.

Level 8
There's a ton of extra info we would need, I'm afraid. In my map, regular units have ~500 health and heroes can have anywhere from 500-3000 health, depending on level, items, and how they allocate their stat points. Health regeneration and regular damage are quite high, though, so I'd probably want the poison to be dealing at least 20 damage per second at level 1.

However, in the normal, vanilla game, 20 damage per second poison would absolutely crush everything. Maybe not to the point of just steam rolling, but I think it would be so powerful that it would ruin the game.

Just note that this ability is an orb effect (or maybe buff placer, I'm not sure), so you cannot use something like mask of death with this ability. This ability also does not stack the way some people think. It stacks perfectly if two units with it hit the same unit, but if one unit hits a unit with it multiple times, it still only has 1 stack. Basically, the number of stacks is the number of different units with the ability that has hit them.

well i'm using it as a leveling ability on an altered melee map, i only call it altered because there are custom buildings, other than that, all units health and regeneration is completely default, (vanilla) i was thinking 20 dps at level 3, but like you said, it may be too powerful.

Level 12
At level 3 it might not be too bad to do that. It'd probably still be quite strong, though. It might just need to be tested.

Maybe just go with 5, 10, 15 damage and it lasts for 4 or 5 seconds. The slow part should be pretty weak, imo. I don't actually play vanilla warcraft so I am no expert on balance.

I just remembered a map editor bug. The slow values for move speed and attack speed are actually swapped in the object editor. Test it out by making one 0% slow and the other one 50% slow so it is very obvious which one is being affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.