• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Damage Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
What are damage types and what are their effects on the damage dealt? I've always noticed that the action Unit - Damage Target has a damage type field.
I don't know if anyone will reply to this but I'll put a checklist up to show the effects of the damage types that haven't been explained in this topic yet:
-Unknown
-Normal
-Enhanced
-Fire
-Cold
-Lightning
-Poison
-Disease
-Divine
-Magic
-Sonic
-Acid
-Force
-Death
-Mind
-Plant
-Defensive
-Demolition
-Slow Poison
-Spirit Link
-Shadow Strike
-Universal

P.S. If there's a guide somewhere to damage types please show me the link, thanks, XD.

Level 8
I don't think they do anything

but I have friend who made triggers that gave heroes elemental types and damage type attacks

then he made certain types weak and strong against certain types

his name is pointsharp on the east server, I'm sure he would show you the map he made this in if you ask him

Level 6
as for fire/cold/lightning... it is believed that the idea was dropped in beta stage of the game. no effect as far as i know.

the only one of interest is "unknown" because it IGNORES ARMOR. so you can use it in triggers with "unit - damage target" action to deal 300 damage to the unit regardless whether it has 2 or 302 armor... (some recomend spell damage for that effect but i usually don't. it depends on the task...)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
All, with the exception of "Normal", IGNORE ARMOR and do nothing else. There are no changes between units or even any that deal less to undead or certian types of units, the only one that does something different from the rest is "Normal" which includes armor reduction.

They probably planed to allow one to detect the damage type using triggers to allow elemental resistence systems to be made easily but they never did make the function to retreive the damage type.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Urg sorry, all so confusing. Well thankyou for pointing that out that it is possiable to get chaos damage or even siege damage to be resisted by spell immunes.

Do not forget the other field of that action.
JASS:
//This is here to enable you to see the native line
native UnitDamageTarget takes unit whichUnit,widget target,real amount,boolean attack,boolean ranged,attacktype attackType,damagetype damageType,weapontype weaponType returns boolean

boolean attack I think makes the damage act as an attack, maybe even letting spells like thorns aura reflect it?

boolean ranged I think is a compliment to boolean attack which makes it eithor a melee damage or ranged damge, the latter might make it not be reflected by thorns aura.

weapontype weaponType I think purly plays a sound when the damage is delt, like the field units have.

Level 3
Urg sorry, all so confusing. Well thankyou for pointing that out that it is possiable to get chaos damage or even siege damage to be resisted by spell immunes.

Do not forget the other field of that action.
JASS:
native UnitDamageTarget takes unit whichUnit,widget target,real amount,boolean attack,boolean ranged,attacktype attackType,damagetype damageType,weapontype weaponType returns boolean

boolean attack I think makes the damage act as an attack, maybe even letting spells like thorns aura reflect it?

boolean ranged I think is a compliment to boolean attack which makes it eithor a melee damage or ranged damge, the latter might make it not be reflected by thorns aura.

weapontype weaponType I think purly plays a sound when the damage is delt, like the field units have.

I'm going to answer more then just the question at hand, ok?
If I was to guess:

boolean attack - I believe this asks whether it would count as an attack to a unit. If it does, then units would respond to it by coming after you. If it isn't then they would probably not move.

boolean ranged - Probably a complement yes. Also for the detection of abilities.

weapontype weaponType - Is an unknown quality.

As for the original question, which was asked and answered (What is the difference between the Damage types?)

There is no difference, Except for normal (which includes armor), and possibly Magic (Which I believe is stopped by Spell Immunity), though you could make an intricate system that uses all of this.

The Attack type Is probably to check if armor reduces it. "Normal" translates into a spell, while the others are the different types of damage one can do (chaos, Magic, etc.)

Level 6
weapontype weaponType - Is an unknown quality.
stuff like normal (=melee), missile, missile-line (like vorpal blades), missile-splash, artillery, instant...

and possibly Magic (Which I believe is stopped by Spell Immunity)
not just that. it also considers magic resistance given by armor type and some items (runed bracers).

i don't recommend using it for triggered spells as it deals 125%/75%/200%/100%/35%/50% damage to light/medium/heavy/unarmored/fortified/hero armor type. too spread out for me.

so if you want an action do do same damage to footman and archmage, you cant use spell or magic damage as hero armor (armor type, even if he has 0 armor points) shaves 30% of spell damage (offensive spells) and 50% of magic damage (spellcaster attacks)...

as we are talking spell making, we all usually go with spell damage. i sometimes use unknown when i want heroes to take full damage...

Status
Not open for further replies.