• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Defense map tips needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Im going to start making a new map which is basicly a defense map, you know the drill your in the middle of the map in a base and have to defend an object from countless waves of enemy attacks etc. I havnt made one of these before or seen one for ages so i was wondering if anyone could give me some tips when making this stlye of map. Also i need a few things to consider like, should there be a gold mine in the town you are defending or do you get gold purely as bounty from kills etc things like this, and should there be things to go hunt and explore outside the town.

Thanks for any ideas.

Level 22
Normally gold-by-bounty is a good idea, but if its a multiplayer map (and I'm assuming it is) it tends to have the problem where when 1 player gets ahead, they can afford better units/upgrades which allows them to kill even more stuff over the other players, where you then have players eventaully being too weak to do anything. Try to make incomes methods fair.

Most castle defense maps have very tight choke points. Perhaps you can have elongated battlefields where there are multuple points of defense for all players. Getting gold from mining is not a bad idea with that sort of style. A last stand option isnt bad either...normally in defense games once the enemies breech the gates on any side, its pretty much over...maybe give players a way to regain their ground even after that happens, like a special spell with a long cooldown that instantly wipes out a group of enemies, or another ability that allows faster productuion of units, or scripted reinforcements, ect. Keep things frantic, but fair, and it will make for a very fun game. EoTA Exodus if perhaps one of the funnest defense games, so maybe use that as an example.
-VGsatomi

Status
Not open for further replies.