• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[General] Does using HD mode in Asset Manager make the map unplayable on old war3 versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
If you make your map with reforged editor then you can only play it on reforged (so it will not be compatible with 1.31 and earlier). Setting HD/SD mode does not make a difference in that regard.

Level 5
If you make your map with reforged editor then you can only play it on reforged (so it will not be compatible with 1.31 and earlier). Setting HD/SD mode does not make a difference in that regard.

Really? Yes I made it in Reforged editor, I didn't know that. But like normal warcraft 1.32 without the enhanced graphics can play it with HD mode assets?

Level 18
I no longer have reforged installed, so I can't check to be sure, but I think there are two ways you can set HD-only.
The first is for your map, which you can set to SD only, SD/HD, or HD only. I assume if you set it to HD only, then 1.32 players using normal/classic graphics are unable to play it.
The second is for individual files, which are either SD or HD. I don't think the map will become unplayable if you have any of these set to HD, but if you do not also import a corresponding SD file, you will have missing models/textures/etc when playing with classic graphics.

Level 5
I no longer have reforged installed, so I can't check to be sure, but I think there are two ways you can set HD-only.
The first is for your map, which you can set to SD only, SD/HD, or HD only. I assume if you set it to HD only, then 1.32 players using normal/classic graphics are unable to play it.
The second is for individual files, which are either SD or HD. I don't think the map will become unplayable if you have any of these set to HD, but if you do not also import a corresponding SD file, you will have missing models/textures/etc when playing with classic graphics.

Ok thanks for the info!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
That is correct as far as game version goes. Licence wise that is not correct as people who own classic can still play Reforged with classic graphics.
As title says, I have some HD models which I put in HD mode in Asset(Import) Manager, would that make the map unplayable in everything other than reforged? Should I put them at SD mode to be compatible everywhere?
If you do not plan to import different models for SD and HD then import them only as SD. Reforged graphics will use the SD models if no HD versions are available and classic graphics will always use the SD models. If one imports models for HD mode only then classic players will have that model appear missing which could make them unable to play the map properly since missing models have no cursor hit detection.

Level 5
That is correct as far as game version goes. Licence wise that is not correct as people who own classic can still play Reforged with classic graphics.

If you do not plan to import different models for SD and HD then import them only as SD. Reforged graphics will use the SD models if no HD versions are available and classic graphics will always use the SD models. If one imports models for HD mode only then classic players will have that model appear missing which could make them unable to play the map properly since missing models have no cursor hit detection.

Ok seems fair, I used the SD mode on everything just to be on the safe side. Thanks for all the info.

Level 12
Not adding anything useful here, but I tried to convert all assets in my Assets managed to HD (most of them are mixed usually) back in January, and the game started to display some strange issues with models.
So I believe converting a map from SD to HD is not a good idea anyways.

As for making a map from scratch with all HD assets, It might have some uses, but will definitely not let players who opted for SD mode enjoy your map.

Status
Not open for further replies.