• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Feature suggestion: Auto import of spells into maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi, I've had this idea before and I didn't realize people are still working on cool tools like this and I think this would make a perfect addition to a new editor.

Basically, the Nr.1 issue people have with spells right now is that they are hard to import. Very hard. You basically have to follow a 20 point checklist everytime you want to import anything, carefully orchestrating that all variables are there, in the right order, doing editor restarts sometimes when things get copied the wrong way.. it's an insane process.
What you could do is to allow automatic import from one spellmap (remember: a map is just an mpq archive) into another map (=again: it's just another archive).

It's all in there as strings and scripts. You might have to require people to markup their spellmaps / JASS scripts in a certain way, not sure. Even if that is the case, it's not a big deal. It is still a million times better than having to write a 20 point checklist which nobody writes anyway. Apparently spell importation is like an arcane knowledge that you just have to "know" if you want to use custom spells.

How would this look in practice? Well I think all that would be necessary gui wise is to have a fileopen dialog pop up that requires the user to select a map that he wants to import and then it will do just that. Importing all units, jass, triggers, variables from that mpq archive into your current map.
If this isnt possible while your map is opened in Sharpcraft, you could also do this as an external tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.