• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Felwood Mirror

This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
Map Description :
Across the Forests of Ashenvale, the Skull of Gul'dan has corrupted the woods to the point where reality doesn't match sight.
Are those Woods corrupted or safe ?

Melee Features :
12 Gold Mines (15k Starting, 12.5k for expands)
2 Taverns
4 Shops
4 Labs
2 Fountains of Health
2 Portals
2 Markets

The B version contains 2 more taverns and those are closer to each base
It also contains 2 Green Dragon Nest with a lvl 35 creep camp where the taverns used to be on Version A
Added a lvl 2 power up drop on the mid camps as well

Creep Camps
16 Green Camps (5 to 8levels)
16 Orange Camps (13 to 18levels)
4-6 Red Camps (27 to 34levels)

Author's Notes :
Map was made to be firstly played as FFA, putting all options for players in a symmetrical way
Considering the strenghts of creep camps and Felwood creeps overall (Mana Burn/Slows etc...) 2v2 would be fine as well
Lastly 1v1, tho honestly I'm not sure it would be very fun, map is quite large and you could spend 20mins creeping without encountering the opponent

I initially meant to only make 2 green camps per player (8) but with the amount of space available I doubled it, giving each player 2 oppening :
- Creeping into fast expand + shop nearby
- Creeping from the Tavern into Lab / Shop

The closest expand to starting position was closed to forbid humans from getting it too quickly
It also has decent anti air creeps to make it annoying, the Lab nearby should give enough answers
The voidwalkers units, which aren't usually on the felwood tiles, were added as anti air units

Media :
I uploaded a bunch of pics throughout the dev of the map here

Changelog :
05/05/2024 : Uploaded A and B Versions
Previews
Contents

Felwood Mirror (Map)

Felwood Mirror (Map)

Level 4
It seems the worm has turned, mwahaha. That said I should preface this with that I am by no means an expert, especially in regards to FFA. However I will comment on what I see.

Ok, first I would say, I can see where your and my preferences differ, add more doodads! lol. Also, it's probably because I have had my head in the extra small maps lately, but the map looks huge. Which is probably necessary for FFA/2v2.

Positives
Gameplay:
-Plenty of open space for combat, especially when there can be up to 4 players involved.
-Green camp item balance, appears to be on point.

Aesthetics:
-Love the cross spawn mirroring design (didn't realize that I can use the region pallet to create different weather effects, cool to learn that)
-I like the use of the Northrend Trees.

Comments
-Spawning Location space for your base is limited. Which can be by design to make certain buildings more vulnerable to attack. Not too sure how I feel about it.
-Way Gates, I don't dislike their inclusion. I almost wish there was a north south pairing. The only issue I would see in doing so, would be having a way gate next to all the goblin shops and taverns.
-Not sure how I feel with the 1st green camp having a creep with purge. On one hand it can help prop up other heroes as an option, vs the summoning heroes or undead.

Suggestions
Gameplay:
-Orange Camp levels could use some adjustment or an additional Orange Camp with a lower level. As of right now, you have 4 Orange camps in each spawning region with levels 13, 17, 18, and 18. It's possible you could minimize the tree coverage in some area, and include in one more Orange Camp under level 17 to help smooth the transition into harder creep camps.
-The Red Camps appear rock solid tough, levels 30 and 34 respectively. I would suggest increasing the level of the central Hydra camps to being red camps just over level 20.
-The Center of the map. I would love to see it turn into either a central plateau or big hill, with a single marketplace in the middle.

Aesthetics:
-Doodads!
-I feel there is a lot of box shapes in the designs of the rock faces and cut-outs.
-Reskin the Fountain of Health as a Corrupted Fountain of Health, it will change the water running in it from blue to green. I would also raise it above the water line.
-The inaccessible trees on the ridgeline, could use some cool structures/ruins/neutral buildings put in them to give something nice to look at when flying over. Just don't leave space from someone to build something up there, or utilize the non-buildable terrain where there are open spaces. Ex: Furbolg huts set up in a camp/little village.
-Sprinkle in some Canopy Trees from the Felwood set and Icecrown set for their respective areas, just to add a bit of spice to the tree lines.
-Fix floating doodads.
-Level out some of the hill lines and make them more gradual slopes.

All in all, I think there is a good effort to keep the map fair between all of the players, and most of my concerns are cosmetic and creep camp level balance (which I maybe totally wrong on given my lack of FFA experience).

Level 4
See my 1st comment, I didn't realize that I had to make a comment to rate the map.

All in all, I think there is a good effort to keep the map fair between all of the players, and most of my concerns are cosmetic and creep camp level balance (which I maybe totally wrong on given my lack of FFA experience).

Level 7
Damn, some actual feedbacks !
Been a few weeks and been eagerly waiting ngl

Alright, didn't intend to make big modifications on those versions, considering I'm currently working on an altered version of it
So yeah I already fixed a bunch of stuff, main concern I heard before you was too much trees, not enough open areas
Which I did on the not ready yet version

I completly agree with the lack of doodads, on another 1v1 melee map I'm making, I basically trippled the number of doodads compared to this one
Early position is definitly small, will stack up trees and create more space, map is not lacking trees w/so/ever so that wouldn't be an issue if I remove some
ALso thought about removing the cliff for the altered version, especially the expand one, overall I don't like cliffs

By the way, having purge on creep camps is totally normal, look at 4v4/3v3 blizzard maps, lots of creep with purge
Whether its lvl3 wizard, lvl2 lizard, satyr etc

And yeah, the unused part .... As you could guess, just had no idea what to do of it, considered another expand there, but that's about it
I don't like canopy trees, whether felwood, ashenvale etc, feels like model is too big and hides terrains, annoying for view overall

"Fix floating doodads" ? Explain

Another issue on this map would be the creeping route, been testing solo a few times, and feels like creeps are too far away from each other, also haven't tested if you can lvl2 in 2 camps and then lvl 3 after expand

Your idea about mid could definitly be nice, I'll consider it, as for hydra camp, there's enough red imo, tho if I turn mid into one instead of 2, perhaps
Thx overall, same as u do, I'm also working on my own to do things better :D