• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Glow-in-the-Dark Team Colors (Picture included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, or if it's such common knowledge that I'm a dunce for asking, but I didn't see any similar topics after searching, so here goes.

A while back I made a post about darkening the gameworld, which was quickly answered with the custom script "call SetDayNightModels ("","")". This solution worked wonderfully for my lighting problems. However, I suffered from a strong bout of procrastination and ADHD shortly after and halted work on the map.

Recently, however, I began again, determined to finally bring myself to complete a finished work. However, a very... noticable problem - to say the very least - has arisen. Upon activating SetDayNightModels, most units are enveloped in darkness (As intended) save for the team colors. This doesn't happen in every instance of team coloration, as can be seen in the attached image, and my question is:
How do I make it so that the these team colors stop defying the laws of computerized pseudo-physics? D:

Additional information that I also might add is that while I theoretically could just set the default team colors of all units to be black, and thus not show up (at least not as boldly, anyway), I'd really rather not do that, as the team colors really help identify the players to each other, which plays an important part in the map in the areas with lighting, or when SetDayNightModels isn't being called upon.

And if it matters, I do have access to photoshop, so if it has to be done via retexturing, I can probably do it, I'm just not exactly sure what I'm supposed to modify or how to do it, necessarily.

TL;DR Version - See attachment: I don't want the team colors to show up like they do on the footman, rifleman, and berserker when "call SetDayNightModels ("","")" is running.

Attachments

• MSPaint Rendition.jpg
    MSPaint Rendition.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 143
Level 16
Team color is "glowing" because it is unshaded.

Instead of SetDayNightModels you can use this function:

• Environment - Set fog to style Linear, z-start 1000000000.00, z-end 1.00, density 0.00 and color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%)
or "call SetTerrainFogEx(0, 1000000000, 1.00, 0, 0, 0, 0)"

76812d1267867261-glow-dark-team-colors-picture-included-screenshotfog.jpg

Attachments

• ScreenshotFog.JPG
    ScreenshotFog.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 204
Level 2
Thanks for the idea! Though there is a bit of a problem that arises from this. The fog does work to blind out team color, but it also does the same for sources of light. I've attached another image to go more in depth.

You also mentioned the team color areas being unshaded. I understand shading them myself most likely involves editing the actual textures, which I can do, but I don't understand exactly what I'd have to do in order to obtain the effect. My only thoughts would be to lower the Lightness and Saturation of the team colored areas in photoshop, and then import the new skins, but I get the feeling that won't make them stop showing through the dark; it'd just make them not show as brightly overtop it. I'll try it in the meantime anyway.

Also your fog idea did get me thinking. Would there be a way to simply remove the fog in particular areas (such as light sources) to give the impression of SetDayNightModels without actually using the script?

Attachments

• Paint Rendition 2.jpg
    Paint Rendition 2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 120
Level 13
I think it is because the forest troll is neutral and Blizzard therefore made it in a diffrent way.

Level 2
I understand they textured the model differently, and most of the neutral units also have this issue. The troll creeps (of all races and models) just seem to be an anomaly. What I'm asking is how do I replicate this so that the other models don't "glow in the dark"?

Level 14
Download Magos' Model Editor in the tools section. Open it.
Use [Windows » MPQ Browser], open War3.mpq to find a model (let's say Units\Human\Rifleman\Rifleman.mdx).
Use [File » Save As] and save the model as Rifleman.mdl (the .mdl bit is crucial).
Open the file [Rifleman.mdl] using Notepad.
CTRL+F is the shortcut for 'find'. You want to remove all instances of the word 'Unshaded,'. It'll look something like this (probably with other words, etc.):
JASS:
	Material {
		ConstantColor,
		Layer {
			FilterMode Additive,
			static TextureID 2,
			Unshaded,
		}
	}
Delete the 'Unshaded,' bit to get this:
JASS:
	Material {
		ConstantColor,
		Layer {
			FilterMode Additive,
			static TextureID 2,
		}
	}
Repeat the above until there are no 'Unshaded,'s left.
Save this modified file in Notepad. Don't use Save As.
Open the file you just edited again using Magos, and Save As RiflemanUnshaded.mdx.
Import this new file to your map as you would any other.
Result: the teamcolour will be shaded like the rest of the skin.

Last edited:
Level 2
I did exactly as you explained, Softmints, and it worked perfectly! Thanks a bunch :)

Also, I suppose this isn't the right place for this, but since I'm already posting to update that my problem is solved, I figure it won't do any harm to add that the map you did for the solo mapping competition was amazing. I'd played them all earlier this week and liked yours the most by far. Your help with my problem made me feel compelled to actually go and vote for it. Shame that it doesnt seem like you'll win, though :(

But again, thanks everyone for giving your thoughts and ideas, and special thanks to Softmints for the answer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.