• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Granite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Do you think this is a good granite texture? I'm trying to find new techniques to make my rocks look more realistic, because right now they don't at all.

Note that it isn't really shaded at all so it looks rather 2D at the moment.
Also note that this uses my soon-to-be-famous Metaltexturing brush :]

Attachments

• Granite.png
    Granite.png
    369.6 KB · Views: 154
Level 36
I think a well-placed filter does wonders. The only one I used here was "Crystallize".

Furthermore, people are always trying to tell me that I should just use a simple brush and paint it. I dunno though, I hate how it looks when you do that. You can see all the brush strokes, and although that is good in real life painting, on photoshop it looks terrible to me.

Level 15
I can't think of any granite with that exact color mixture hmm. Maybe you should try different colors like soft red or green(both mixed with gray ofc). Also, crystallize ruined the 3D impression if there was any(because it divides according to a 2D grid so you lose the depth). If you really can't stand brush strokes, work in 4000x4000 and downsize it so everything you messed up turns into lovely sharp details(cheap trick for lazy people).

Status
Not open for further replies.