• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

HALF-LIFE 2 : Combine Elite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Yo, I've been really getting into modelling lately and have finally set upon a theme that I would like to use in a war 3 map - Half Life 2 from the perspective of a Combine Elite Soldier. It will be a survival based map where the soldiers face off against other half-life enemies like headcrabs, zombies and antlions.

The problem is though, I'm caught between 2 different types of games to make... as both of them appeal to me equally. These are the two game types -

1. A co-op survival in the vein of such games as Undead Assault 2... where all players will work together as a squad to survive the waves of enemies and complete missions.

2. A slightly different form of a survival map that pits player against player. One force will consist of the same squad of combine soldiers mentioned above, and the other player team will control other monsters in a melee-game type fashion, spawning enemies and conquering the map in an effort to slay the soldiers.

That's just kind of the gist of it, which one do you think would prove more popular?

combine3.jpg

Either way, I plan to make all the unit and doodad models myself to really bring half life to the war 3 table.

Last edited:
Level 4
I understand .... I have a bucket load of cool ideas for the different forces, but when it comes down to it if players don't like a particular force then it halves the audience right from the beginning. That being said it works in vampirism, loap and a number of other maps.

My idea of having a different 'melee' style force was just to simulate randomized gameplay as if this melee force was a Game Master... deciding what enemies you are up against, providing you with various tactics to over come.. that sort of thing.

... but yeah I can totally agree with your p.o.v

so far 1 vote for the co-op, lol thx

Level 9
always remember that most of the people in battle.net are childish german kids, who can't even host with common sense, and suck as game masters.
If you want your map to be popular = playable by the most of the gamers = playable by dummies you can't count on game masters.
BUT if you want to enjoy it yourself or with your friends it would be perfect: map makers are surely nice game masters.
And this time that's all for real, folks

Status
Not open for further replies.