• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Hard Disk acting Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
My 2 yrs hard disk is acting weird.My system memory usage grew 50 times (to 100,000 kb) and a few hours ago made some weird noises. Like zztzzt. It stopped now, utorrent started working fine though it had the CRC (cyclic redundancy check) error. VLC stopped working aswel.

But my hard disk started working and the windows check said it is fine. Does this mean it is fine and it will run another year or does it mean it has less tahn one week to die.

Also is there a way to fix it except throwing it in the trash can? Maybe changing the needle or clearing the dust?

What tools/rivet sizes does it need/have?

Level 15
I would buy a new HDD and transfer anything you care about onto the new drive, that bugger is going to the great system in the sky.

And son, if you open that drive in anything but a Class 10 cleanroom, kiss your data goodbye.

btw, Class 10 just means 10 particles of dust per cubic meter, yes that means full bunnysuit

Level 6
And how exactly do I open a hard disk? What do I need?

Also where could I open my harddisk? In what room? Is there a way to clean the harddisk afterwards? Aka paper towel or something? Does it really need to be in a "cleanroom"? Will it get destroyed if I open it under water? Then, let it dfry, then run it...

Level 2
Davy,
Cleanroom means sterilized, environmental controls, the works... It would probably be a fun thing to take apart AFTER you back it up, because as Blarg said, you can kiss your data goodbye.

tagg,
It's just a matter of preference, HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive. So technically either "hard disk" or "hard drive" is correct.

Level 15
And how exactly do I open a hard disk? What do I need?

Also where could I open my harddisk? In what room? Is there a way to clean the harddisk afterwards? Aka paper towel or something? Does it really need to be in a "cleanroom"? Will it get destroyed if I open it under water? Then, let it dfry, then run it...

1. Class 10 Cleanroom

2. Class 10 Cleanroom, if you really must know, find the nearest semiconductor facility.

3. Yes

4. Not sure but it's not anything you will find in a house

5. If you want a working hard drive afterwards, yes.

6. Yes

Look, you technically could open it up and replace the head like your saying, but it would cost exponentially more than the cost of a new drive to do so, get it now? It's not worth it, backup while you can.

Hard drives are among the most precisely made objects you can find in a house, they rotate at 120 times a Second, heads floating on the rotating air around the drive, at heights less than a 10th a millimeter, reading data compacted so densely that current drives allow for over 130gb per square inch. It's at the point where a small particle of dust you can't even see can wipe out an entire drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.