• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Help finding a desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

So I am considering getting a new computer altogether. It doesn't need to be capable of playing anything too crazy--I'd be happy with how my previous machine ran (the one with the motherboard fried) in terms of fps for WC3 and SC2 (medium settings comfortably except in big battles).

For WC3 the fps was pretty decent (with some things turned off, like unit shadows), running pretty decently in large pitched battles (little to no lag), though using the editor was a little tedious.

I'm ignorant of hardware and its implications for performance, but I am guessing a desktop will outperform a laptop for the same price. I also don't need a portable Windows machine, since I've got my relatively new macbook pro (cost a leg and an arm, of course), from which I *can* do coding anywhere (though quite honestly all the environments just don't feel right, except perhaps for using Lisp, otherwise I preferred doing Python and Java in Windows).

Let's say my budget is $300 (the price it would cost to get the motherboard replaced). I'd be willing to go a bit over that (likely no more than $450) if the increase in price meant something close to significant gain in performance (let's say polynomial perhaps?).

Here's one deal I found that pretty much fits the budget: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229562

But I'm a complete newb at this, so I'd very much appreciate help and advice.

My plan is to also test out the computer--if it does good enough I'd keep it and not get my previous machine fixed. Otherwise if nothing works then I'd go and get it fixed.

To begin with:

Build it yourself, /don't/ buy OEM computers.
World Editor will be as slow on a high-end computer as it is on a low to mid-tier PC.

Something to note.

If you're not confident in your own building skills, the shop you order from likely offers a service to build it for you.
That usually just means they put everything inside the computer case, do the cable management, make sure it runs, install the OS & whatever extra you chose, and ship it to you.

Do note: Extra manual labor is likely going to cost between 50 and 200$.

Seriosly something to reconsider.

All in all, you should be prepared to pay at least 500$ for a good enough computer.

Useful links.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Level 15
As Paliouras mentioned you can check the "Console killer" build, which is around 450$ (in US, prices vary from location to location).

But with 300$ budget, you should be looking at an upgrade for your current PC rather than to buy a new one.

As Gilles said, post the specs. At the very least, the motherboard model and manufacturer and the CPU model.

I highly doubt that your replacement motherboard costs 300$, they range from 50$ to 150$, the ones above that price range are high end mobos, which people who don't know much about PCs rarely own.

If you don't know how to check those, open the PC case and take a couple of good pictures, which show the motherboard (primarily the text on it), cables for the harddrive and the optical drive and a picture of the powersupply (the table on the sticker, where maximum output and peak output are listed).

Level 15
Here's the specs on the machine. Note it's a laptop and this is the one with the fried mother board. Apparently there is a single chip that popped.

HP Pavilion dv6z
• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M Accelerated Processor (3.2GHz/2.3GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
• 2GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7730M Graphics
• 16GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 640GB 5400RPM Hard Drive

I haven't got it on hand (still at repair shop, debating to get it fixed). But are you saying I should just buy the replacement motherboard then put it back in myself?

Level 15
Well I didn't pay attention to the fact that its a laptop.

Umm, well you can buy a replacement one: http://www.buymotherboard.net/hp-dv-series-hp-dv6-motherboard-c-1_18_9.html

Or you can go with a desktop varaint. You can salvage the hard drive and RAM with a couple of these adapters: http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Laptop-Desktop-Adapter-Connector/dp/B009N7XX4Q

So that should shave off some costs. Dunno about salvaging the laptop screen: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Convert-a-Laptop-LCD-into-an-External-Monit/
Considering that you'll need to buy a controller board for it, you're better off buying a new screen, or connecting the PC to a TV.

Considering that 7730M offers similar performance to 5570, beating that performance shouldn't be too hard. Same goes for the CPU. I just don't understand why would they put 16Gb of RAM into that laptop and skimp on other hardware.

It's about 375$, presuming that you'll use your laptop's harddrive. You can also save money by using the laptop memory with those adapters I linked you, but I am not sure how will they impact on the performance of the RAM sticks.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9yMTzy

So with those adapters for ram, you'd be looking at around 330$ for the entire thing, excluding the peripherals such as speakers, monitor, keyboard/mouse.

You have to take note, this is the lowest you want to go, anything bellow starts to become less cost efficient, that goes for both the processors and graphics cards. Athlon 750K is the cheapest quad core CPU atm that offers decent performance. GTX 750ti graphics card performs great for the cost (the number 750 doesn't have anything to do with compatibility between these two components, those are just model numbers) and consumes about 50% less power than its counterparts, which is a good thing when you're running the whole thing off a cheap powersupply.

IF you really need to shave the price further, pick up GTX750 instead of GTX750ti, that should round it up to 300$ (if you use the laptop memory).

Overall, sorry for the wall of text, but making sub 450$ gaming builds isn't exactly simple.

Level 13
It looks like you've gotten some good advice already, but I'd just like to add that at least in Denmark, buying a finished computer from a gamer PC site is around the same price as building it yourself.
I don't know how the shops accomplish this, as a few of my friends have done this, and as I recall, it doesn't look like they saved money on any of the usual hardware (PSU, RAM etc.).
Those shops might just have some good deals with the hardware manufacturers.

Of cause this doesn't mean it's the same in your country, but at least in Denmark, you don't necessarily save money by building it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.