• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How are bones defined in MDL/MDX files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
This question isn't directly related to modelling, but I'll go and assume that if someone will know the answer, it's you guys.

I am making an MDX importer for things unrelated to WC3. The reason for this is that there are no other model formats out there that have skeletal animations and are not a big pile of shit at the same time (MDX is really a good format, even if it's old).

Now, importing the mesh is very straight forward and obvious with Magos' specification file.

I got a bit stuck in the actual bones - I do not really understand where/how they are defined.
The animations (translation, rotation and scaling) are obvious, same goes for the animation sequences etc.
What I don't get is what is the origin of the said animations? there's no place defining "this is the start point of bone X" and "this is the end point of bone X".

The only similar thing I found was the min/max extends, which seem to sort of be randomly linked to all the rest of the info.

Vertex groups basically say "this vertex belongs to bone X", right?

As to the Matrices block, I really didn't get what's the point of it, since I can't find actual matrices anywhere in the file.

I hope someone can clear how all the parts connect together, since I am searching for a not-shitty skeletal animation 3d model formats for ages...

(hint: BlinkBoy, help! :>)

Thanks.

Level 26
The vertex groups connect the vertices with the bones. But they might also be made of multiple bones in 1 group.
The position of a bone is defined by it's pivot point. The translations part just tells the bone how far and where it shall move.

Status
Not open for further replies.