• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

how can i downgrade windows 7 to vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i do however prefer the design in vista, specially since windows 7 comes with the dangerous internet explorer 9.(it draws power directly from the hardware, thereby eventually causing it to shut down. i had that problem with diablo 2.)
What tin foil headed person told you this?

Firstly, everything you run on your computer uses your hardware. It is impossible to run any form of program without hardware to run it on. Hardware runs software, it is that simple. If you do not want to use your hardware, then do not turn your computer on.

Programs do not draw power. They are a set of instructions that a processor runs. The processor does draw power to run these instructions but the power drawn depends on model and generation. There is no "CATCH FIRE" instruction which causes your processor to turn into a heater incase you were worrying although some instructions can consume more power than others (the nvidia 8800 GT running SC2 is an example where SC2 used graphic opperations which are not performed very efficiently by the 8800 GT and like cards). A programmer is not concerned about the thermal performance of the code he runs as it is up to the hardware designer to make sure that the processor is capable of dissapating all the heat generated to run at worst case situations. I do admit that not all hardware designers do this inorder to save money and as such you will get products like the 8800 GT which it is possible to cause them to overheat due to the heatsink being designed for average case loading and not worst case.

Internet Explorer 9 uses hardware, like all browsers. The difference with IE9 over older IE versions is that IE9 uses the graphic accelerator partly meaning your CPU is used less. Unless your graphic accelerator is defective or badly designed so it causes a fire when not running idle then if anything it will strain your system less as the GPU can handle image generation far better than your CPU.

i had that problem with diablo 2
Well I have played Diablo II for years and can assure you it is not only physically impossible for it to damage your hardware, it also just does not from personal experience. The origan of this legend is not false though. Diablo II used to require the CD be present inorder to run. This was to avoid installing unesscescary files back when hard disks were small. As such it would stream data from the CD on demand, especially data such as music. Caching was also bad back then meaning that data would continiously need to be reread from the CD. What few people realise is that CD, DVD and now blu-ray drives have a limited running life. The lasers they use to read the discs have a half life meaning that after X hours running they will be half as bright than before. Thus by playing for hundreds of hours people were greatly wearing their CD drives and eventually causing them to fail (the laser is too dim for the drive to function). This is a thing of the past though as now you can install the game completly (no CD required to play D2) and the caching systems of modern opperating systems like W7 combined with large memory sets means that every file is only ever read once per session from hard disk (or CD if you still use that for some stupid reason) so the wear factor is nonexistant.

Level 22
Whoa the saga continues, from 2012 I will really stick only to 2 threads and not visit a single other place in THW.

Why do you want to downgrade so badly when it will not be efficient, may cause remains of Win7 and mix registries and may not work at all?

Ok you want Vista for whatever reason, then what's so hard to backup MyDocuments game files created in my documents, any other games and saves and things you need? Then format your drive when you backup, clean Vista install...

Oh I know why, you have all on C: drive that plus mommy's/daddy's files are also on it? Again, in case you reinstall, consider making more than one partition (aka drive) and keep windows just on one say C: and all other stuff on D:

Really, downgrading is not a good thing, unless you can't backup all your files somewhere, better do clean installation after backup and format. I've never tried it as it is pointless, the one time I read about it, I saw it was going nowhere if I tried.

Then again, you've no idea what you're doing so doesn't matter what anyone tells you.

Level 21
i have personally experienced what diablo 2 can do to a pc. 2 of the pcs i used eventually became unable to run diablo 2 well. i believe that 1 was pentium 2 while the other was pentium 3. the damage was highest on the pentium 3 because it ran hardware accelerated graphics in the game. the other used software and it took longer for it to degrade.(if at all) it seems however that stronger hardware suffers more damage from diablo 2. one of my pcs became so badly damaged that it couldnt use hyper threading anymore. i informed blizzard about the issue though. the design in windows 7 is awful and several game installers doesnt work.(dungeon keeper and dark colony.)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i have personally experienced what diablo 2 can do to a pc. 2 of the pcs i used eventually became unable to run diablo 2 well. i believe that 1 was pentium 2 while the other was pentium 3. the damage was highest on the pentium 3 because it ran hardware accelerated graphics in the game. the other used software and it took longer for it to degrade.(if at all) it seems however that stronger hardware suffers more damage from diablo 2. one of my pcs became so badly damaged that it couldnt use hyper threading anymore. i informed blizzard about the issue though.

Seeing how Diablo II runs standard program code, this is physically impossible. It is obvious that your PCs could no longer use hyper threading seeing how only the late pentium 4 processors and intel I7 processors have hyper threading in the first place.

You refer to "damage". Please explain more clearly. Be aware that doing anything with your computer results in wear and some processes that "thrash" devices will result in more wear than others.

Ofcourse, badly designed hardware can be broken by running program code in certain environments. An example is a Nvidia 8800 GT with stock cooling. If you run DirectX 10 graphic opperations on it in such away that the card reaches full utalization (simple scene with no frame cap/verticle sync) it will overheat and even catch fire. Many people had StarCraft II burn out their graphic cards due to this problem but that is due to poor hardware design for the ambient environment and nothing at all to do with the game being programmed to burn your computer.

the design in windows 7 is awful and several game installers doesnt work.(dungeon keeper and dark colony.)
It is not Microsofts problem that the game makers could not make reliable games back then. The interface of W7 is fine, infact next to the start menu I did not notice a difference from Windows Vista and even XP.

Level 21
i think that the interface in windows 7 is awful. i just cant get used to it. whenever i use windows 7 it is like being in a foreign country and when i get back to vista it is liking coming home.(i use the classic start menu by the way.) the pc that lost its ability to use hyper threading is pentium 4. i had to remove the newest memory chip because it was damaged.

Level 11
I was about to ask something but then I remembered this:

2590282166_2ccf7360c4.jpg

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Can we please stop insulting him, this is not nice and you will probably get punished if you keep this up...

andreasaspenberg, the only way to downgrade is to reinstall your operating system. You must be aware that one can not hide in the past forever and you will eventually be forced to move on to a more up to date OS. If Windows 7 is not your taste, you might wish to try Windows 8 later this year or next year as they will be dropping support for Vista quite soon. However if you want to use Vista until then you will have to reinstall your opperating system as it is the only way. You can even run vista in a virtual machine from inside your Windows 7 OS but that will still need you to install Vista.

Level 9
1. find a mallet
2. use it on your computer
3. buy a Vista CD
4. Get a new computer
5. install in new computer.

though some places still sell Vista PCs, but finding one will have at least a 1 to 100 chance

Level 3
Oh lawl when i was reading this lol, But seriouesly YOU CAN'T Downgrade without reinstalling the OS, Microsoft is releasing some new method of booting Windows from USB, So either wait for that ( will take LOOOONG ) or for the 99th time reinstall your OS

Level 22
I've told him that, but i think he uses a single partition, he doesn't even know what that is.. so he's being told 10 times he needs to save his data and resintall because downgrading/upgrading not that I've done that, isn't it like removing or packing the old OS and reinstalling the new one? It's just wrong and useless waste of hard drive space, so why bother telling him further (and besides it may not work, that's why)

Level 11
a pirated system cant be updated and a vista without updates have far too many bugs. i cant buy things online because i cant get a credit card.

If you find someone that sells a vista copy in your town you could ask him if you can meet up and pay with cash, I have sold stuff that way several times using online advertisement pages and cash is mostly used in such affairs due to its low scam risks.

And believe me, people sell anything on these kind of sites for low prices so they don't have to waste time throwing it away.

Also I made a quick search on one site and I found 2 Vista copies in my area, one of them cost 14,5 $ and the other one cost 60 $ so its still possible to buy Vista (and people are still trying to get money out of their wrong purchases :hohum:).
But if you live in a town like Kirkenes this solution can be a problem.

Last edited:
Level 22
You only make your problems look impossible when there are many solutions. Go XP SP3 since you have a key there, it's better than Vista since you won't go Win 7. You can get someone from your country willing to sell his key offline if you so much want Vista which is pointless, maybe reinstall Win 7 will fix your problems.

And most importantly, you must have made something dumb because there is no way a newer game that is not DOS /Win98/ only game will run on XP and Vista and won't be made to run on 7.

If this is not enough for you, then throw your PC out of the window, as some others suggested similarly.

Thank you dear guy for your wonderful threads! Now I know where/on who to use some of my negative energy

Status
Not open for further replies.