• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How can I make purge AOE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello,

Basically, there's a few things that I don't quite understand and one thing that I need to accomplish.

Things that I don't quite understand:
  • Which attributes determines an ability is non-targetable?
  • Which attributes determine an ability uses AOE or target?

Things that I need to accomplish:
- How can I make purge an AOE skill?

Regards,
Shawn

Level 25
You cant do any of those two things by just changing the spell in Object editor. You need to use the spell "channel". Check this tuutorial if you dont know what that is Channel tutorial.
And how to make purge an AOE skill. You'll have to do that through triggers, you cant make it AOE with only changing in object editor, and i guess that is what you are trying? :)

Non targetable are the abilities of instant cast, e.g. Howl of Terror, Battle Roar, Roar, etc. In order to make a custom non-targetable ability, you can make a custom one, based off the ones i described.
The AoE are of type Blizzard, Death and Decay, Silence.
There are some abilities that combine both AoE and non-target ones, e.g. War Stomp.

To make a purge AoE skill, well for instant cast (e.g. Howl of Terror), get Howl of Terror, set all the fields to 0, Targets Allowed to None and delete the buffs.
Then, the trigger:
  • Trigger1
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • Ability being cast Equal to Your custom Howl of Terror
  • Actions
    • Set Point = (Position of (Triggering unit))
    • Set Temp_Group = (Units within X of (Point) matching ((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))
    • Unit Group - Pick up every unit in Temp_Group and do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • For each (Integer A) from 1 to (Number of units) in (Temp_group), do (Actions)
          • Loop - Actions
            • Set Point1 = (Position of (Picked unit))
            • Unit - Create 1 dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at Point1 facing default building degrees
            • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Shaman - Purge (Picked unit)
            • Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
            • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Point1)
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Point)
    • Custom script: call DestroyGroup (udg_Temp_Group)
If you want this spell to take effect in a target area, then base the spell off Blizzard for example, deleting effects and buffs, setting number of shards to 1 and all the damages to 0.
Then, instead of storing "Point = Position of (Triggering unit)", store "Point = (Target point of ability being cast)".

Level 2
My spell seems to be not working.

• Purge AOE
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Purge
    • Actions
      • Set tempPoint = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Set tempUnitGroup = (Units within 500.00 of tempPoint matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True))
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in tempUnitGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • For each (Integer A) from 1 to (Number of units in tempUnitGroup), do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Set tempPoint2 = (Position of (Picked unit))
              • Unit - Create 1 dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at tempPoint2 facing Default building facing degrees
              • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_tempPoint2)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_tempPoint)
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_tempUnitGroup)
{EDIT 1}
Ok sorry. It's fixed. It's due to my dummy problem.

{EDIT 2}
Umm, I have another question. When the area of effect has a lot of enemies, it seems to lag out. Is there any problems with my trigger?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 18
  • Purge AOE
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Purge
    • Actions
      • Set tempUnitGroup = (Units within 500.00 of tempPoint matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True))
        • Loop - Actions
          • For each (Integer A) from 1 to (Number of units in tempUnitGroup), do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Unit - Create 1 dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at tempPoint2 facing Default building facing degrees
I had a quick look on this trigger and I think that in this case if there are 9 units in the area it will cast 9 purges on every single unit at the same time. What is the need of the integer?

Level 18
That is true and I need to pay attention to that myself :0
But now it picks a unit in the group and creates like 5 dummies there to cast the spell on the picked unit. It does this for each unit at the same time and that way it still leaves the dummies right?

Level 6
make your sure REMOVE THE LEAKS!
okay i have suggestion
make you spell with silince spell or anything
but silince don't silnce people
it's aoe.... pic showing
saves as point
and order dummy unit to purge pointed point
now looks like aoe purge :)
  • Purge AOE
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit begin casting an abilty
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Purgeaoe
    • Actions
      • Set tempUnitGroup = (Units within 300 of tempPoint matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True))
        • Loop - Actions
            • Loop - Actions
but used like silence
it's looks like aoe
dont' used large aoe
it's will caused lags!

Status
Not open for further replies.