• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How do i open starcraft 2 "database" files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
I've been trying to get a hold on the starcraft texture directory to explore the possibilities of creating custom models for sc2. Only problem is, that instead of a folder, it is stored inside a so called "database" file, with a .db extension.

How to you open theese files? Are there any other ways of seeing the starcraft 2 textures?

Level 11
Use an mpq editor and open the mpqs. I've found everything for the textures inside there. (the .sc2assets ones, they contain model files nad textures).

The .db files I think are just directories that help the program find textures.

No, that is incorrect.
The textures found in the root directory of the mpq are only those related to the starcraft UI. They include menu icons, borders, backgrounds, buttons, etc. The textures for the actual units are in the database.
The textures i need are generally those not related to any units, but generic textures such as wood planks and particle sprites.

Level 22
War3model editor could also open the MPQ but now is too large and crashes. I use

MPQEditor

and what mzwach says is open the ~2.5 GB file called base.SC2Assets in ...\..\StarCraft II\Mods\Liberty.SC2Mod\ and in Assets\ you will find Textures\, just open the file with the browser selecting 'all files' when Open to see the files

Status
Not open for further replies.