• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Icons, icons, icons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello every one! I want to make a wc3 hero for a project, and so far, I had no experience with making icons, so I was wondering, how am I doing so far? These are my first icons.. Any suggestions? P.S. The ulti wasn't hand-draw, i just resized and filtered a photo from google, because my drawnings came out too cartoony.. Would apreciate some feedback, tnx and GL HF ;)

vdka4w.jpg

vl3ll.jpg

Level 49
Icons are not realy good. Let start from the point that they are different. Different in style and in quality. If Reveal is totaly bad then way of the hoe is better but totaly different. The third icon with flag is a great example of bad quality tryes of making good icons. The last is pure CnP and must die.

About first icon - we can start from bad quality of light FX. Try find some tutorials about making FX on ur work. The second part is lost shading geometry. There, where a top cloud should be overlighten or overdarkened (depends of liquidness), there is part darkened and part lighten that is realy unrealistic and looks mess.

The second icon (Way of hoe) has big problem that a object, shown in icon is not a hoe. Also, grey color on BG make icon pale. Try increase contrasts, add juicy color selection. Most problem of ur hoe is not a shape, that make it hard to recognize it as a hoe. Most problem that object head is not shown as some metallic item, try make some realistic light reflection, metallic shadows and etc. Not a plastic, like here. :)

The third icon has very premetive shadows cuz of wich the object has realy broken shape, i mean that shape of that flag is not a square, but some broken thing. :) I mean that if u spread that pattern, u will see it not as a square but as a result from games of childrens with scissors and pattern. The second problem is a spear or whatever holds a flag. Great problem with shadows. I mean its totaly shadeless and reminds me a flower stem. Make it wider and add shadows.

About ultimate - try more and more freehand and show there result.

Level 6
Will do, will do! :) Tnx 4 the advice! But I must dissagree with 1 thing - I have a hoe that shape (i mean half circular or somethin' at the edge - it does not have to be a square^^), in real life, it's a smaller hoe, i gues designed for gardens or somethin', i dunno :) But try more will I do :D would be +rep but i already gave some to you when i saw that bloody interface or somethin' xD

Level 6
Well, thie 1. is a replacement Icon for "The way of the Hoe" - Now it's called: "Perun's Blessing"

The 2. one is replacing "Reveal" - Now it's a Stun Nuke (it's a drawning of a pepper)

The 3. one still remains a mistery.. Shield or flag? I remade the flag btw, but I like the version with the shield more :))

I will be updating soon on the others..

Attachments

• Perun's Blessing.jpg
    Perun's Blessing.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Nuke.jpg
    Nuke.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 158
  • FLAG.jpg
    FLAG.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Icon1.jpg
    Icon1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Level 49
first icon have pretty color choice, i realy love it, but please, remove white part of bg (from edges).

Pepper is too red, also in real life u will never see some object in it's original color by 100%. Shadow on papper has to be purple or green, depends of ambient light, also again trouble with very simple and not expressive background.

New flag is a little better, but bottom part of flag confusing me, cuz of again square shape broken :) and right bottom end of flag look's like a plastic, not a pattern :) Overall better than before.

Shield looks like pattern too :) I can make u example of smexy shield with that picture upon :)

Level 6
First of all, tnx for the critic, I'ts realy nice not to talk to myself in the forum :D

- I intended the lightning bolt to be a passive spell, so that the edges won't be seen that much in the outcome, but I'll make both versions, so we will see which version is more suitable ;)

- I will see what I can do with the pepper :) But I don't think the changes will be that big

- I also had my doubts about the flag, but at first I animated it in 3D Max, and used it as a reference.. I probably did something wrong while making the cloth.. The shield and flag are the same spell, so I needed to pick one.. But I put the flag here, because I think that it's better than the first flag version :))

-I choose the shield as the third Icon, because I can't realy see how can I put a reactangle in a square sized icon (and make it look good at the same time), and also I can't think of an interesting background.. P.S. It would be nice to see that example of a shield ^^ - The shield will be a passive spell as well.

Level 6
I tried to do something with the pepper... Don't think these 2 versions are better, but who knows, I'l leave that decisions to the spectators ;)

Also here is the Lightning icon with and without edges...

+ The overall look of my hero. (that ulti will not be used, I will make a new one)

Attachments

• Which one2.jpg
    Which one2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Which one.jpg
    Which one.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 75
  • WC3 Hero.jpg
    WC3 Hero.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 70
Level 6
I present to you - The Evil Cornfield!!!

Attachments

• Icon3.jpg
    Icon3.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 144
  • Evil Cornfield2.jpg
    Evil Cornfield2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 131
  • WC3 Hero.jpg
    WC3 Hero.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 86
Status
Not open for further replies.