• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Ideas for fixing/compensating melee AI for huge (480) maps?

Level 13
So from what I heard it's pretty much established that warcraft melee AI cannot handle the really big maps (as of the version I use, 1.29). I made a similar thread before, but this one is meant to be specifically about workarounds.

My own experiments seem to show that some rudimentary use even of basic blizzard AI is possible (they will build their bases and try to kill you) though not ideal performance. Most notably, on my maps orc AI is always utterly helpless, they rarely even train a hero, just spam peons and send them harvesting. Undead AI, on the other hand, clearly performs the best (if you get rid of the blight mechanics). No idea why the huge gap.

Anyway, I have very much not given up on using 480 maps for single player, so I kinda want to learn if anyone has figured out workarounds.

There is a pretty excellent project for enhanced AI, but from what I gather the performance on 480 maps is not necessarily better than vanilla AI.

The most obvious is triggers. Do you know of any good examples of complex trigger use, ideally GUI, that make computer players more interesting?

Last edited: