• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Is it possible to ADD new soundfiles(instead of replacing them as is common belief)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I found an interesting thread on wc3c.net regarding creating new soundfiles and ADDING them in a map instead of just replacing an existing one. It reads something like this (User-Kentaru_Z):
''Hello, I don't know if you're still interested in creating new soundsets or if you already know this, but I recently discovered why my modified "unitacksounds.slk" never worked.
Let me start, originally when I modified it, I exported it from the war3x.mpq, then I imported it to the same mpq, then when I tried to use WorldEditor, my new soundsets weren't there.
While doing some experiments yesterday (Yes, yesterday, I actually read this entry of yours a few days ago while searching for a way to create new sound sets and I discovered your suggestion of using the HeroArcher set, which proved useful), I discovered that what you need to modify is the "unitacksounds.slk" found not in the war3.mpq or war3x.mpq, but the one found in the war3patch.mpq
I tried creating a new soundset for Paladin Arthas using his already-there voices, but taking out any reference of him being a prince (I wanted a young paladin soundset, which I called Arthas2) and I also give Grom Hellscream a ready sound using one his pissed sounds (I still don't know why so many campaign characters don't have a ready sound). When I imported the "unitacksounds.slk" back to the war3patch.mpq, I opened World Editor and I searched for my new soundsets, Arthas2 was there and I tested it along with Grom Hellscream, Arthas2 worked perfectly and when Hellscream was revived he said is new ready sound.
I still haven't tried using outside custom sounds, but creating and importing new soundsets into an mpq is, in fact, possible.
Again, I don't know if you are still interested in this information or if you already know it, but you're last post about soundsets proved really useful to me and I wanted to give something in return.
I hope I helped you a bit!''

All the sound-related tutorials (that I've read) say that adding new soundsets to the game is impossible, and that you need to replace an existing one if you need new unit soundets. Can anyone with enough tehnical experience in this matter tell me if what this guy says is real and how to actually do it (in a simplified way if possible:ogre_kawaii:). Here is the link to the thread in case you want to see the whole context :http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=109975 .

Level 12
I will test this and then edit my (This) post with the results. Brb!

EDIT: YEP! THAT TOTALLY WORKS!! I finished Sylvanas' lazy soundset doing that, and it works in game!!

But I'm sure that this would require everyone to have the SAME EXACT War3patch.mpq for the sounds to function properly for everyone, as I have no idea how to make the UnitAckSounds.slk, or any other SLK file, to work with an Imported map.

However, if you want to make a full-fledged mod without REPLACING sounds, you can DEFINITELY do this!!

Basically, here's how it works:

In a spreadsheet editing program, you simply go to the bottom of the file and add your new soundset.

In the first part, you name it WhateverYouWant then following that, with no space, put either "Yes" "YesAttack" "What" "Ready" "WarCry" or "Pissed". Then in the next column, you put the actual filename (Including the .wav extension, and WC3 can only support .wavs and .mp3 if I remember correctly) then to add additional sounds you put a comma after that, and add the next sound.

Next column is what folder the game looks for the sound, in my case I added it to "Units\Creeps\SylvanusWindrunner\" next is Pitch, Pitch Variation, Priority, and Channel. I don't know what those do. Next is flags, I don't know what that does either but it seems pretty important. After that is MinDistance, MaxDistance, and Distance, those are extremely important. The next column I dunno what it does, and the last two are unimportant.

Here's my example:

attachment.php

Modifying this SLK file does not seem to prevent you from logging onto Bnet either, which is always a plus. So now you can have your own custom sounds in-game. (And don't even worry about being banned, I haven't heard of someone being banned from classic Battle.net in years)

I always knew there was a way Custom Soundsets would be possible, here it is...!

EDIT2: As for adding COMPLETELY NEW sound/voice sets, that's entirely possible because you can import/replace sounds anyway, using this instead of replacing a sound you just keep your own sound with it's own name, leaving other sounds alone, then just add them to a new sound list.

Attachments

• SoundFile.png
    SoundFile.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.