• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

map bundle feature suggestion: BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my suggestion is, the uploader of a map bundle to be able to mark it as Alpha/Beta/not-finished/not-final, instead of posting in the forums. The bundle will be visible to those who browse the not-final category of the list of maps in the site. Also, the comments under the bundle will serve as discussion and suggestions for the map, and when the map is marked as released, this discussion gets archived or hidden and the map is listed in the pending maps for moderation.

Last edited:
There's the Map Development forum for unfinished but ongoing works. I don't think it's necessary to complicate things for the sake of complexity.
I don't see how this is complicated. I See it as a more compact way of dealing with your project. Everything in one place.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
We do allow beta maps in the maps section. But only if they work. Beta can be "So far only two races, more to come" or "Will add more levels later". If it's beta because it's broken or very, very rough. It's not suited for the maps section. The maps section is for playing with joy. Map Development forum is for hype and future plans and for people who wish to give or get feedback on unfinished things.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Nothing stops you to use one (map) thread.
If you want your map to show up in any real accessible way (who goes to the Map Development forum looking for a good time? 😆), you need to upload it to the Map section.

But if it's not ready for that, then you have a Thread in the Map Development forum... And only when it's finished are you allowed to make a second "thread" in the Map section. Two Threads.

With Stan's suggestion, a user only needs one (1) Thread; a single Thread in the Map section, marked off as "alpha"/beta/WIP/etc. This reduces the number of Threads, the upkeep the user has to concern themselves with, etc.

(In a way, it could sort of mean we "combine" the Map Development forum & the Map (Resource) section. I don't know yet whether that would be a good thing or a bad thing or what.)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 70
With Stan's suggestion, a user only needs one (1) Thread; a single Thread in the Map section, marked off as "alpha"/beta/WIP/etc. This reduces the number of Threads, the upkeep the user has to concern themselves with, etc.
stan0033 wants to hide everything that went into the development of the map up until the release. I don't think that's a good idea. It makes the whole process useless or as if it never was, in a way. Also, combining the forums creates informational clutter. Feedback for development should be in one place while feedback for released stuff should be in its place, IMO.

If you want your map to show up in any real accessible way (who goes to the Map Development forum looking for a good time? 😆), you need to upload it to the Map section.

But if it's not ready for that, then you have a Thread in the Map Development forum... And only when it's finished are you allowed to make a second "thread" in the Map section. Two Threads.

(In a way, it could sort of mean we "combine" the Map Development forum & the Map (Resource) section. I don't know yet whether that would be a good thing or a bad thing or what.)
Exactly.

stan0033 wants to hide everything that went into the development of the map up until the release. I don't think that's a good idea. It makes the whole process useless or as if it never was, in a way. Also, combining the forums creates informational clutter. Feedback for development should be in one place while feedback for released stuff should be in its place, IMO.
No, it will not be hidden, as users will be able to click a dedicated button "view pre-release discussion" or something similar.

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 73
I don't really see an advantage from this change.
It just overcrowds the Map Section by adding a new (if semi-hidden) part to it that requires
moderation - not as in map reviewing but as in post moderation.
Said new section would, if we are being honest, be filled with many many entries that will
never be finished or may never reach a state that.

It does not make things "compact", it reduces the quality "threshold" of uploads and will overcrowd
a section that really does not need to be overcrowded.
The Map Development forum still sees much activity. I do not see a reason to replace it with this new
system - and whether you intend it or not, this change definitely has the potential to do such a thing.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Stan already responded to the 'hide everything' bit, so I'll just say that I think it would actually be quite efficient to have all the feedback for maps (alpha, beta, released, etc) to be in one place (a Resource Thread for that map).

===

That all being said, I have to say that I think unfortunately, Stan, history is your biggest opponent here. By that I mean, if your suggestion was the way the Hive had done things from the beginning, I think it would be superior (more efficient, all maps in one place, etc).

However, we've been doing things this way (separate 'forums' for WIP maps & finished maps) for so long, that it would be unwise to try to switch over now.

Status
Not open for further replies.