• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Mindless Hack&Slash is outdated? And more..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Do you guys also feel this way? (what the title says)

Why play Diablo 3 or any similar game when those games require you to shut your brain? When you can play a game like this one ->
I myself do still play Diablo style games BUT i very very often find myself wondering WHY i do it. Why kill a group of monsters that has no particular stats or tactics or anything special in general, they are just braindeads that are there to be killed. Ofc u can say that you play those games for class/character build aspect BUT thats something u can do in serious games as well, its not something that belong to mindless hack&slash only.
The last justification is: when u want to relax/chill.... Relax? why would you play a game when u want to relax? Any activity that is mindless can also be considered a waste of time, especially when you SIT in FRONT OF A PC which isnt the healthiest thing you do...dunno...
So i find this concept of braindead mobs so outdated and i think even in warcraft, the developers should focus on unique concepts, concepts with their own identity and personality.
And to conclude my thoughts on this i want to give an advise that i always believed and do more so today. STOP focusing on balance, balance has ruined many games' identity/personality. In your games, give value to things such as size, weight, length, gender, gravity, race, etc. For example in WoW (yes, world of warcraft) a gnome can be a warrior just like a tauren, weelll... do u see where is the problem? How can a gnome be as strong as a Tauren. The answer is BALANCE.
Balance has taken away everything unique, everything with its own identity. Linear games, that all feel copies of one another.

Level 21
I'd say it's not balance per se, but the thing that turns games bland is highly related to it. It is possible to balance games in other ways, e.g - nonlinear balance. As someone has said "Balance is not equality. If all choices are equal, they don't matter."
However, it is quite complicated to make a game in such a way that vastly different choices are all viable. It usually requires that the game is segmented in some ways. For instance, you could have classes that are highly specialized and this way achieve huge differences in playstyle, but then those have to be kept separate otherwise someone will just combine the best parts of a few classes and becomes stronger than either of them.
It's all a huge bunch of trade-offs really.

Status
Not open for further replies.