• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[SD/Modeling] Naturalistic animal dens, holes, nests, lairs, burrows, caves, grottos, webbing, hollows, mounds and the like.

Level 2
I'm doing a map in which most enemies are meelee AI players with custom races that represent animals and beasts of different kinds and sizes, each player having their own kind of animal. I would like to know if you know any models that would work for generic naturalistic animal dens, holes, nests, roost, lairs, burrows, caves, grottos, webbing, hollows, mounds and the like. I plan to use them as players structures, essentially as "town hall/ main den" and a "farm/shelter". Nothing really flashy, just simple models that look like something an animal would use as shelter, made of things like hollow logs and trees, rocks, digged ground, sand, tall grass and other natural materials. Just a simple birth and death animations, no fires preferentially, and simple textures are good enough, as long as they don't look very very very ugly.

Something that doesn't look made by inteligent humanoids and blends reasonably with Ashenvale or Barren tilesets. Like places a pack of wolves would make a den or where a group of thunder lizards would nest. I searched but most of what I've found look like just another furlbog, gnoll or centaur hut or dragon roost. I'd like models as generic as possible, that could be used for almost any kind of creature, not just one kind, not specific "dragon roost" type of buildings. Some animals ideas include wolves, bears, panthers, sea turtles, thunder lizards, dinossaurs, giant birds, dragon like creatures, giant worms, giant termites, ants, wasps, spiders and whatever else I think of in the moment.

Expanding on the idea, if someone really likes it, some themes that would be interesting would be "mammal land beasts", "reptile land beasts", "reptile sea beasts", "mountain flying reptiles or birds", "underground insect mounds" and "silk/web/goo spinning insect nests". Ashenvale forest and Barren rocky variants. A "town hall" and "farm" for each.

Feel free to post about anything you know that minimaly fits it, even doodads, etc, it doesn't need to be perfect as long as it doesn't look like another "humanoid made hut".

EDIT: 2 differents buildings would be more than enough: one big for a "town hall" and one small for a "farm". Any already existing resource along these lines would be apreciated.

Last edited: