• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Need help terraining a cave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi im currently terraining a cave on one of my maps, i was wondering if anyone could give me some inspiration of tips on how to make a cave, because to be honest mine are rubbish. At the moment im using the Height adjust tool and making a "hole" in the ground and thats about as far as my caving experince goes.
P.S extra points for a screeny :)

Level 12
Well, first you need to tell us if the terrain shall be playable or not.

If not then you can make the walls of archways and then put rocks around them.

If you want it to be playable, i would suggest try to go with blizzard cliffs or raise the terrain. But that might be a problem as it raises the camera much.

Level 36
Don't use archways, they work OK but they look kinda ugly. Really, if you want to make a cave and you aren't actually going to go inside it (if you teleport to a dungeon area it will still work), just make a 90 degree slope, put a tile Abyss on it in the middle, and put maybe 1 small archway and some rocks around it. Easy cave, looks good, and is playable. Takes up about 3x3 squares of your map.

Level 10
ive added a few screen shots of what i have so far, as you can see i need some help :)

Attachments

• cave1.jpg
    cave1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 148
  • cave2.jpg
    cave2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 138
  • cave3.jpg
    cave3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 146
  • cave4.jpg
    cave4.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 155
Level 9
It's not that bad but it's look a little fake. Work on the placement of your rocks and waterfalls so it looks more realistic. Like someone above said, add more shrubs. I also find it helps when you add bits of shrubs or even mushrooms right beside rocks. Use different colour rocks, different variations (such as Rock Spires).

Level 10
thanks for the suggestions forgot about mushrooms! also a few rock spires is probabaly a good idea

Level 7
Blizzard Cliffs are evil. Also, make sure you have a pool or river or something so the water of your waterfall has a source.

Status
Not open for further replies.