• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Solved] Newbie's first map - Passive abilities missing

Level 2
I just started playing with editor a few days ago, and this problem has bothered me since.
I've browsed through the guidelines and hope I won't break any rules.

These are Archer's abilities in a melee map.
o1.jpg

Now I open this map(say, BootyBay) in the Editor, select Archer from ToolPalette, put it on the map, then save as a new map.
Dialog: "this map is no longer considered a melee map etc.", click ok.
I open the new map in game again.
Archer's abilities become like this:
c2.jpg

I tried to train archers, abilities are still missing.

What could be the problem?

Last edited:
Level 26
You are seeing the difference between melee map and custom map game data set:
  • Units in custom map have a base set of abilities (e.g. Archer has only Mount Hippogryph and Shadow Meld)
  • Units in melee maps have different set of abilities and this set may be further changed in future by Blizzard patches (e.g. Archer has Mount Hippogryph, Elune's Grace, Improved Bows, Marksmanship and Shadow Meld abilities)

A standard melee map is a map without any custom trigger or player units in it - just terrain, shops, neutrals and player start locations. Since you placed a unit in melee map, you converted that map from melee into custom, changing its game data set (hence the dialog window "this map is no longer considered a melee map").

There are two ways to get back the previous data set:
  • Change the data set to melee: In editor's top bar select Scenario -> Map Options -> find "Game Data Set" dropdown menu and change its value to "Melee (Latest Patch)". Do note that any future changes Blizzard makes to melee maps (like rebalancing units) will also affect your custom map.
  • Leave the map as custom and just add the abilities to your unit in object editor. You can temporarily switch the Game Data Sets between melee and custom so that you can see what abilities units had on melee.