• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

On Emotion (exercises)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
The below is from my own experiences and research into the subject. I am not yet sure if this will work with everyone, a select few, or just myself.

I am not lying, I have no reason to. I created this because I found the whole thing fascinating. I'm sure at least some will share my sentiments.

Before trying these, keep in mind that I've yet to test going back and forth. I am not sure how difficult it is to kill emotion. If you are emotionless and you want to continue to remain emotionless, I suggest you do not do the exercises as there will be a chance that you will never be able to go back to being emotionless (I say this with all seriousness). Becoming emotionless is much more difficult than becoming emotional as it requires much concentration and control.

Emotions seem to be a very intense thing at times and not so intense at other times. The feeling that can only be described as a mish-mash of feelings, surging up and down, threatening to explode at any moment, growing ever more powerful, is an experience that people can only describe as reaching the breaking point of every emotion possible. Perhaps it is ectsasy? Perhaps it is deep depression? Mania? Pent up emotion? Regardless of what it may be, emotions appear to be a powerful thing and can even determine a person's actions in a situation.

Does everyone feel emotion? No. That isn't actually quite accurate. Some people feel emotion to such a small degree that they are virtually emotionless. This can only be described as feeling 100% calm 100% of the time. Imagine your entire family dying, but the most you feel is a tiny prick of emotion that only lasts an instant, going by so quickly you don't even know what passed, or perhaps you feel quite literally nothing at all, just shrugging off the event. Most people would be overcome with intense grief of some sort, sobbing, crying, and etc, so the first scenarios seem almost unreal. How on earth could a person ever not feel anything about that? How could a person care nothing for anything around them. It is possible, and not only that, but everyone seems to have the capability to reach that point.

Imagine being able to put emotion away into a deep box, and whenever you feel something really intense, the emotion just barely breeches that box, giving you that small tiny prick that you'd barely even notice. That is the only possible way to describe what someone in the first person's inner emotions would be structured like. Yes, they have full capability of feeling just as much emotion as anyone else, but they are quite literally unable to because they can't open that box.

Firstly, it is possible to create the box and put all emotion into that box, thus being able to feel nothing. Secondly, it is possible to break the box, but breaking the box will result in a meltdown of emotion, and I am entirely unsure of what happens at the very peak.

I am a person who has been in the first category for a very long time, so long in fact that I have forgotten what it was to feel. The pitiful weak emotions I felt were what I thought everyone felt, so it seemed unreal to me that someone could ever become so distressed over a situation that they would commit suicide, or that someone would be genuinely gateful about something, or a whole other slew of situations. To me, all these situations were just people playing out their expected roles. Little did I know, true emotion was something entirely different from what I felt day after day.

Recently, I discovered how to break the emotional box (on accident), resulting in a swarm of emotion that slowly rose and rose. I quickly got rid of them after some deep meditation, but regardless, that moment was life changing for me. For the first time, I was truly able to understand why people were driven to such actions and what people actually did.

Normally, laughing for me was accompanied with no emotion, or so little I couldn't even feel it. I had to actually practice how to laugh because the emotion I felt was barely enough to merit a tiny grin. I had to practice how to cry. I had to practice all of it, because I couldn't do it naturally.

When you don't feel emotion, you don't feel desire. To this day, I don't know what desire or envy feel like, nor do I know what love feels like. Any emotion that relates to another person I am lost about. The few emotions I do know I only know a small portion of, because I feel so little of them. Imagine my shock when I felt real emotion for the first time, what it must have been like. To say the least, I was overwhelmed, even though I probably only felt a small portion of what people normally feel (it was still weak, but much stronger than what I was used to, so strong I couldn't abate them in the slightest).

Now, while I'm not quite sure of the precise technique I use to quell emotion to nothingness, storing it away in a box, I am quite sure of what I did to break open that box. If you are one of those that feels little to nothing, this is your chance to truly feel alive, to truly feel connected, and to truly enjoy life rather than sitting on the sidelines, perplexed and detached.

--------------------------------------------------
First, you must be able to bring out emotion. If you are someone who feels almost nothing, this should come quite naturally for you, because you have been manipulating your emotions all these years without even realizing it! You probably know what emotions feel like without even realizing it as well! Try feeling an emotion you've never felt before and you will be shocked that you actually feel it.

Slowly get a feel for bringing and putting down emotion. Putting down should be easy, just letting go. Afterwards, work at feeling multiple emotions at once. Next, try to feel all of them once, like you are searching for a specific emotion. Continue this for about a minute (it will probably be very difficult). When you stop, you will continue to feel lingering emotion, and you will be unable to put it down. It is slowly going to grow, surging up and down your body like a wave that is getting bigger and bigger. It will continue to grow and grow, and then I don't know what will happen because I stopped it very quickly with my killing emotion technique.

Have fun with your reawakened emotions. It will take some time getting used to, and you will probably feel entirely overwhelmed. I can only imagine going through the above will be similar to going into a maniacal meltdown.

--------------------------------------------------
To kill emotion:

Calm yourself. Clear your mind. Keep yourself calm. Every time you begin to feel something, push it down deep into your stomach until you don't feel it. Keep doing this. As you do this more and more, you will slowly stop to feel until you feel very little to nothing. It can almost be described as meditation. Be warned that the only way you will really feel emotion at this point is by simulation!

Once you have been on both sides, it will probably be easier to move from side to side at will, being able to be a cool analytical thinker with ease one moment and then an emotional lover the next.

Level 12
tl;dr

Well okay, I read a large portion of it.

You know, I dislike posts like yours, since it seems like attention whoring to me.

Last edited:
Level 31
All it was was just a glorified COPING STRATEGY.

Interesting.

So would the above be a coping strategy, just erasing them so you wouldn't have to cope with anything? Perhaps it would be akin to enlightenment, erasing all desire? Maybe it would be similar to killing yourself, going through the rest of your life as one of the living dead, entirely inhuman.

Interesting topic, Nestharus, though it may be a bit too deep for this forum.

I think members on this forum are fully capable of understanding ^_^

You know, I dislike posts like yours, since it seems like attention whoring to me.

That isn't quite correct. It is actually structured more like an analytical essay, complete with an introduction, body, conclusion, and the subject matter. It describes the premise of the experiment and then the experiment.

Level 12
That isn't quite correct. It is actually structured more like an analytical essay, complete with an introduction, body, conclusion, and the subject matter. It describes the premise of the experiment and then the experiment.

The problem being though, roughly 85% of this structured essay as you call it, seems to be about yourself and your emotions, which seems to be quite unnecessary since you made it overly long and detailed and to me it sounded rather lame and like attention whoring. The 'experiment' you talk about makes up roughly 15% of the 'structured essay' and is as Tyranid says, a glorified coping strategy. Not really going to kill emotions because I do what you say often, and it doesn't really come close to killing emotions. Its what I do to not go out to set my brothers and a couple of people I know on fire, or burn their house to the ground or w/e.

Level 31
The problem being though, roughly 85% of this structured essay as you call it, seems to be about yourself and your emotions, which seems to be quite unnecessary since you made it overly long and detailed and to me it sounded rather lame and like attention whoring. The 'experiment' you talk about makes up roughly 15% of the 'structured essay' and is as Tyranid says, a glorified coping strategy. Not really going to kill emotions because I do what you say often, and it doesn't really come close to killing emotions. Its what I do to not go out to set my brothers and a couple of people I know on fire, or burn their house to the ground or w/e.

Then perhaps there is more to the stopping emotion part.

Level 13
Interesting.

So would the above be a coping strategy, just erasing them so you wouldn't have to cope with anything? Perhaps it would be akin to enlightenment, erasing all desire? Maybe it would be similar to killing yourself, going through the rest of your life as one of the living dead, entirely inhuman.
Again, you're overglorifying it. It's just a coping strategy, as in how you usually deal with situations.

Also how you explained it, it's not so much killing emotions, rather it's more like refusing to deal with them. You refuse to go through and deal with the emotion, so you rather lock it up. You still feel things, you just lock them up immidietly. It's similar to how some people practice to endure physical pain. They still feel physical pain like you and I, they just know how to ignore it.

Level 31
No, there isn't. Because it doesn't stop emotions. Its just a way to deal with stress, nothing more. Quit attention whoring.

To each their own. What a person believes is typically what is possible for a person to achieve, especially when it regards their interior self. Beliefs normally hold a person back from what they can actually accomplish.

If you believe that the exercises can't stop emotions and that they are only a way to cope with them, then that's precisely what they're going to do for you. When it comes to psychological issues, any internal action can have any effect, the actions are just your own visualized trigger, if that makes sense.

I can only say the above for the first exercise. The second one can be thought of as shock therapy for emotions ;p.

Level 12
To each their own. What a person believes is typically what is possible for a person to achieve, especially when it regards their interior self. Beliefs normally hold a person back from what they can actually accomplish.

If you believe that the exercises can't stop emotions and that they are only a way to cope with them, then that's precisely what they're going to do for you. When it comes to psychological issues, any internal action can have any effect, the actions are just your own visualized trigger, if that makes sense.

I can only say the above for the first exercise. The second one can be thought of as shock therapy for emotions ;p.

Okay, well you're DEFINITELY over glorifying some coping methods. I mean, 'shock therapy'? Come on, its nothing like that, its just a way to deal with a bit of stress if anything. In addition, its not something I believe, its something that's true. To really kill emotions in yourself, you'd have to physically cut out significant portions of your brain, because unless you do that you will ALWAYS feel emotions. EDIT: This is because that's just normal brain activity, even the most emotionless people feel something (usually anger, hate, negative emotions like that, or just plain boredom which is an emotion).

Your method is just a normal reaction which people do to bottle up feelings, that you present in a fancy and exaggerated way.

Status
Not open for further replies.