• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Overriding Hero ability cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
So, I want to make a champ with 7 different learnable abilities. There's a cap of 5 in editor. How can i override this? Any solution that does not require additional plug-ins like Jazz is welcome.

It's Jass and not Jazz. That's the language in which you do triggers and such, but it seems that you know only the GUI (graphic user interface, which is simply jass in a graphical interface, but also more limited).

To answer your question : You can use SpellBook to have more than 6 abilities.

Your 7th ability won't be visible, except if there isn't the Learn Ability icon (so, if you already learnt all the spells)

You can also pass the normal limits of the editor by pressing Shift while doble clicking on the line in object editor.

Level 25
Using spellbooks and unit abilities.

I can't seem to find a tutorial for it right now, but basically:
you give the hero a spellbook-based ability which will act as the "learn new spells" button, and in there, you put dummy versions of your learnable abilities. Each of these should be based on the Channel ability (with a different order string).

Then you make a trigger that detects when one of those spells is cast, to give the hero the associated spell / levelup associated spell.

To prevent abuse, add unit-requirements to each, and add/remove the required units for the player as necessary.

Level 7
Jass, my apologies.
The concept is that you have 7 different abilites, but you can only learn 4 of them.

Thanks for the tips, I'll look in to spellbooks.

"You can also pass the normal limits of the editor by pressing Shift while doble clicking on the line in object editor." - I tried this, but only 5 of 7 abilities show up when trying to learn new abilites. So no, that doesn't work :p

Jass, my apologies.
The concept is that you have 7 different abilites, but you can only learn 4 of them.

"You can also pass the normal limits of the editor by pressing Shift while doble clicking on the line in object editor." - I tried this, but only 5 of 7 abilities show up when trying to learn new abilites. So no, that doesn't work :p
It works, but i said the editor's normal limits, there still are limitations even with it, but less.

Level 19
Jass, my apologies.

No, the physical limit for hero abilities is 5. If you bypass this in any way whatsoever, the game will crash on load.

Anyway, your two best ideas are either spell books (as stated) or you can make the menu in a custom way (e.g. dialog, dummy ability selector, shop) and just add/increase ability level via triggers (max unit ability is endless, unit abilitys can level up but u just cant spend skill points in them, maximum of 7 hero+unit abilities shown on command card but skills not on the command card can still be used via hotkeys and passive abilities are still active)

Status
Not open for further replies.