• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Possibility of adding themes for the Hive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Hey there. I was wondering, what if we could craft up several skins that can change appearance only for the user that wants it to be changed? There are way to many positivism and negativities about this, and I just wanted to get your opinion about it.

Personally, I think that it would be very nice. I mean that if you prefer the Naga race, you can switch whole site to Naga style. But that would maybe ruin a touch of originality. I see that there is already a beta stage of Terran style. Maybe to push up textures of users and experiments, from experienced skinners, to get the whole community in the way our members like?

Level 20
The best thing to do with this (and by far the easiest) is to give the 'image' folder within the hive's night elf (most popular?) skin resourcees and they open up each image, redraw it under the same dimensions as another races version 'icon' or 'tile'. Name it exactly the same and import it as a child skin of the 'nelf' skin. Then change table colours etc ofc walah.. same layout different theme.

Ofc I'm sure therein lies the problem - someone running off an hosting their own forum with thw skin? :p

No worries, they can get at the images anyway with some path guessing, it's the code they need to that :p

THIS IS REALLY WORTH DOING AND SUPRISINGLY EASY FOR A DECENT ARTIST :)
I swear!

The best thing to do with this (and by far the easiest) is to give the 'image' folder within the hive's night elf (most popular?) skin resourcees and they open up each image, redraw it under the same dimensions as another races version 'icon' or 'tile'. Name it exactly the same and import it as a child skin of the 'nelf' skin. Then change table colours etc ofc walah.. same layout different theme.

Ofc I'm sure therein lies the problem - someone running off an hosting their own forum with thw skin? :p

No worries, they can get at the images anyway with some path guessing, it's the code they need to that :p

THIS IS REALLY WORTH DOING AND SUPRISINGLY EASY FOR A DECENT ARTIST :)
I swear!
It's more to do with the CSS rather than the images themselves.

Isn't the NE theme just CnP of the NE UI leaves?

Mostly.

Level 20
I know I've been admin on VB before, small forum sure, but same control panel.
Changing the css colour codes and images keeps the layout but look different enough to be undead/human etc, I mean you'd just literally change the frame (leaves) to say human (bricks) and ofc the colours to grey and .. blue? instead of brown and green.

I'm sure any of the admins are more than capable of that D:

It would look good me wagers.
And take next to no time ;P

Level 12
Well, according to many people in the world; yes, appearance does matter.

Thats a perspective view.
-For some yes, and those who says yes, i bet they are as decorative as a christmas tree, and on the day they got robbed, people lol'd at them.
-For those who says no, they are people who are smart.

--What I just said was also a perspective view, YOU MAY OR MAY NOT DISAGREE TO WHAT I JUST SAID.

I know I've been admin on VB before, small forum sure, but same control panel.
Changing the css colour codes and images keeps the layout but look different enough to be undead/human etc, I mean you'd just literally change the frame (leaves) to say human (bricks) and ofc the colours to grey and .. blue? instead of brown and green.

I'm sure any of the admins are more than capable of that D:

It would look good me wagers.
And take next to no time ;P

You can do that with firebug for example.

And hey when I made this winter theme I just scoured the page source and downloaded all of the images :p

Level 13
I have to admit it
More themes would be nice but let them finish off the Terran theme first.
After that we can hope for another Warcraft Race based theme like Orc, Human, Undead.
As far as it seems there wont be a WC4 any time soon so this site has alot of time to finish getting all 8 themes it can use.
Terran, Zerg, Protoss, Human, Orc, Nightelf, Undead, Naga

Level 20
And hey when I made this winter theme I just scoured the page source and downloaded all of the images :p

Exactly =D
It would be just as simple to make the other themes, advised even... the default nelf layout is perfect, just some border ui and colour tweaks would be ace... idk maybe you'd even let someone from the community have the images (for dimensional purposes) and edit the leaves etc into other race like borders. I think changing the css for every theme would indeed be too much to ask.

@The Terran theme looks pretty done to me D=
I know some people don't like it but... graphic wise it's complete, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.