• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Question (especially for moderators)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I think users here don't "Hate" dota.. they just don't like to see the same maps with small changes appearing here and there.. Clones as I call it.. There are a lot of newbies that use dota templates to make their own crap copies.. DOTa has also killed the creativity of most new map editors because they thing only dota style can be made in the editor / dota stuff is the easiest to make.. a Dota based map can be accepted here.. it just needs a lot of changes..

Usually the users of this site like to see something original and fun to experience. Not something that is recreated from a map that already has an official and well run website(or even anything close) with the back up of most people already enjoy the original version a lot considering it's many features and time spent on it that is proven.

If you want to do a remake of Dota and would like it to get liked I would suggest creating the terrain from scratch first.
Alot of makes of Dota have already been made. If you want to actually get positive feedback being as original as you can is always helpful.

We don't much hate it.

We don't want people here to loose their uniqueness and creativity by copying an old AoS map and demand some spells across the site.

They will learn stealing and deprotecting, which is illegal in this site.

We are preventing people not to be a thief, but we want them to create unique and creative ideas so that people would like them.

Level 16
We don't much hate it.

We don't want people here to loose their uniqueness and creativity by copying an old AoS map and demand some spells across the site.

We are preventing people not to be a thief, but we want them to create unique and creative ideas so that people would like them.

You want something really unique....
Warcraft Run> Temple Run in Warcraft

Me, personally don't hate DotA, but I don't like it when it comes to DotA Clones, well, unless its a self-made DotA.

We don't much hate it.

Yes, I agree on this one. I ever went to some places for Warcraft Maps and I usually saw kinda these words :
1. Where can I find Unprotected DotA maps?
2. Can anybody Unprotected a DotA maps?
Etc... Stuff like that.

How bout we make our own style of map and gameplay, if you're intelligent enough of how to use WE why don't you start making your own precious Project, which maybe never ever existed :)

Warcraft Run> Temple Run in Warcraft

Now this one is a good idea (but I would like it more if it's inspired from 2 or more games)
I might enjoy this one :)

Level 16
Actually, this thread made me think about my "dota"
Map and it turned like this:
it is currently in 1.02, 1.03 will be the last one similar to dota, which means after the version 1.03 i am going to let out the dota idea "there still will be things that canot be changed"

Last edited:
Off-Topic : That is what I'm talking, anyways, I love your DotCA map, but I won't spoil other things about DotCA since its out of topic.

On-Topic : We, Hive Users like new imaginations and creative ideas, that's why most of us don't like DotA clones.

Fun Fact : I don't think any Moderators have come here until now XD

Level 34
DotA is alright, but people stopped playing all the other games. Also I personally didn't like a lot of things about it.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I remember feeling a strong dislike against DotA back when I was working on my Warhammer 40,000 TD map. I did not like it because 90% of maps hosted were DotA. I hated the fact that many people only ever played DotA and never tried anything else. DotA was so extremely popular and I did not think that it deserved the popularity over many other maps which I found superior. I was angry at DotA for being more popular than anything else and I found it to be not very well made. This was my perspective back in back in the day and I still think it's quite valid.
As Almia mentioned, so many DotA maps submitted are just shallow edits of the original map. People add a few new heroes or items and call it a new map. This has happened over and over again and you may get frustrated that people never learn.
This shouldn't hold you back from creating your own DotA inspired map. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't copy DotA. The reason why you're making this map should be because you have quite many ideas as to how to improve the gameplay and make a superior version. Not just try to piggy back on the DotA success.

Status
Not open for further replies.