• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Reforged mdx to mdl online converter doesn't work with newly extract models

Level 5
:sad: Everything is in the title ; I wanted to convert a model file that I had just extracted from my Game Storage but nothing happened. I tried again with different models and it turns out that it is now the same for all the models that I extract myself, however the converter still works with the models that I have extracted back in 2020, as well as those downloaded from Hiveworkshop.
Could this be a recent underhanded maneuver on the part of the developers to prevent us from modifying their models? If so, a countermeasure is necessary.

Bliz changed the model format ~1 year ago breaking all tools older than that.
Some tools have updated (such as Retera's Model Studio or RMS Twilac Edition #TwilacsTruly3D v05) others not so much.

I helped Ralle with the viewer to make viewing most models possible some month ago.

Edit: I didn't read where this was posted, so I'm not 100% sure if what I'm saying is any good. But I still think RMS is your best bet.

Level 5
Bliz changed the model format ~1 year ago breaking all tools older than that.
Some tools have updated (such as Retera's Model Studio or RMS Twilac Edition #TwilacsTruly3D v05) others not so much.

I helped Ralle with the viewer to make viewing most models possible some month ago.

Edit: I didn't read where this was posted, so I'm not 100% sure if what I'm saying is any good. But I still think RMS is your best bet.
I'm not gonna lie @ThompZon , this is not the answer I was hoping for (but you have nothing to do with that). :cry: Thank you anyway, that clarifies things, I wasn't aware of that, Blizzard definitely doesn't know what to invent to make us hate them a little more every day. :angry: That RMS tool your talking about seems complicated to use though, the charm of the online converter was its simplicity, all we had to do was drop a file and hop, done. :sad:

The code of RMS and the code of ghostwolf's javascript MDX<->MDL utilities are both public on GitHub and open source. So it is very very possible that someone could fix the web-based tool with the same fixes from the Retera Model Studio tool by literally reading the changes from one and pasting them into the other.

Even better, ThompZon's parser update surely would have already fixed the "reader" part of that code, so now you probably just want the "writer" to be fixed. Unfortunately I think the original author Ghostwolf is not going to come back and fix it for us, but he has done more than enough for us by publishing his code so we can -- ourselves -- maintain what he created.

The following video explains the "why" of the change you are complaining about, even though it is not the main point of the video:

This video is covering the bugs introduced on Blizzard's side by the change, although obviously it sounds like you are interested in the upgrades on our side outside Blizzard. But if you happened to have the time to watch the video from beginning to end, I think by the end you would understand the recent change conceptually so that you or someone you know could upgrade the code to deal with it.

Level 5
@Retera , I already watched this video, I didn't understand anything at that time and I still don't, sorry :sad: , I have no knowledge in modeling or computers in general, long explanations filled with technical terms are Chinese to me, especially if they are in English which is not my mother tongue.

Last edited: