• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Resizing Map in WE breaks map in unexpected ways

Level 2
  • Map is based on the original Gnollwood
  • Map has triggers, regions, object data etc.
  • I'm increasing the map and camera bounds jointly (following the 32 increment rule the WE imposes) and save
Loading the map gives the following results:
All units do not move (at all) just sort of studder/teleport - making it completely unplayable. Exiting the map then locks the game up (crashes) indicating that something went really wrong.

I've played around with different resizings: the first thing to do in the map is hire a hero off a tavern, and after resizing sometimes the hero won't even spawn and there's an error message saying that "there's not enough room" - again indicating that the resizing seriously broke things (there's plenty of room and it's never been an issue before).

I had already increased the size of this map once (a little) so didn't expect any issues. I'm wondering if it's because I'm going from "medium" to large?

Anyway, anyone knows what's breaking, what's causing this and if there is a workaround? If I had to make a new map I wouldn't mind re-linking references, as long as I can copy terrain, doodads etc. (as well as importing triggers etc. ofc). Thanks!

Level 2
Apologies, I've been knees-deep in figuring out what's causing this, and I'm happy to say I found the cause. Documenting it here in case anyone comes across this with the same issue.

After painstakingly copying triggers over to a new map to isolate the issue, I figured out that it was the amount of "Unit enters region (Playable map area)" trigger events in my map that were causing issues.

The same triggers that worked fine in my map would break slowly in a new map (some would fire, some would fail) and after a certain threshold was reached, the map would be unplayable with units no longer following move commands.

I then found this thread with someone describing the same issue: [JASS] - too many "Enters Region" events?

For the record, in a 192x160 sized map I had around 30-40 of those triggers. After enlarging the map, issues would start, making me believe that it's not just the amount of such trigger events in a map, but it's somehow related to map size (the guy in the other thread had a massive map and claimed to have not that many of these triggers).

That being said, I am working around this issue by replacing 30 of these triggers with one master trigger that then runs the others - this seems to be working.

I am not sure if it's any "unit enters region" triggers that contribute to the issue, or if it's just those with the region being "playable map area" - I would experiment with it, but I didn't need to as it was simple enough to solve in my case.