• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Strategy / Risk] Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock: The Map!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I'm getting back into Warcraft 3 map editing after several years.

For my first project, I'm working on a nifty little idea, as much to as refresh my skills with the builder as to actually produce a fun map.

This map, which is for 1-6 players, the players control an Arena Master in a kind of gladitorial arena setting. But instead of being a combatant, the player chooses the forces that will clash in the arena. The player can select from 5 types of units:
Precise (good against Intercept and Armor units)
Intercept (good against Mobile and Range units)
Mobile (good against Armor and Precise units)
Armor (good against Range and Intercept units)
Range. (good against Precise and Mobile units)

Once players have made their choices, the forces all charge each other in an arena setting until one side wins out. In effect, it is a rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock concept applied to a warcraft map. Initially, it seems like little more than a gimmick, but after some play, it becomes a psychological game of trying to predict your opponent's arrangement of troops and counter it, while keeping in mind that they are doing the same.

There will be a wide range of units available of each type, but as far as stats go, all the units of a particular type are identical. Except for ranged units, which obviously have a ranged attack, though I have tried to limit its range to stop them from overpowering all other foes (admittedly still a work in practice).

When a unit fights against a type it is good against, it can kill it in one hit. Against its own type, it kills in two hits. It takes four hits for a unit to kill one of a type that is good against it.

What I have attached is the 2nd version of this map, where I am continuing to flesh out all of the mechanics. In this version, the hiring and firing process for units works, and the auto-combat system is engaged. It ends up sending up to 15 of your units blindly against a force of 15 enemy units.

The final map design will be roughly shaped like a six-legged spider. Each player will control an arena master in an area invisible to other players. There will be a countdown. Until it reaches 0, the players can hire or fire whatever units they want, who sitting in a waiting area behind a gate. When the timer hits 0, the gate opens and all the forces on the map rush toward the middle of the arena, where a force of universally hostile troops has also spawned. After each round, some points are awarded, arena masters get powers up, the arena is cleared, and the whole thing repeats itself.

So far, much of this isn't done yet. I'm still working out of nothing more than a basic fiddling map while I tweak things. If you want to check my idea or provide any suggestions, please do so!

EDIT: PLEASE SEE MY POSTS BELOW FOR THE UPDATED PROTOTYPE MAP

Attachments

• Pentagonal Proving Ground.w3x
    27.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Level 6
Ok. I have a working alpha of the concept ready now, so testing it you can have a more clear idea of what it is I'm actually developing. I've updated my initial post to reflect this new information. I like to get all of my mechanics and nuts and bolts out of the way before I bother working on terrain.

Just a few things to ask about before I get to actual map work:
Is there a way I could tweak the ai so that units would automatically prioritize targeting units of the types they are strong against?

Should I go ahead and standardize the times of all the attack animations, too, in order to help keep everything equal between the different units?

I'm developing arena masters that the player plays as, which can help the player win by bolstering troops or having other effects. So far my only clear idea is a Spy power (based on thrall's far sight) so that a player can sneak a peak at what units other players might be selecting. I know that I want players to be limited to a single power per round and that more advanced powers have to be earned before they can be used. I think Spy is a good basic power everybody can start with. It's simple, yet straight forward and helpful. If you have any good ideas for other powers I could give to the Arena Masters, please post them here.

I'm still unsettled on a final setting/theme for my visuals and terrain. I could go for a demonic arena or a dungeon, where the condemned are watched for mere cruel entertainment, or for a kind of champion or coliseum setting, with a no-less-bloodthirsty atmosphere, but without the darker undertones.

Lastly, is there a way I could reliably add hero glows or just a general player-color aura to units to help differentiate them? Because in the heat of battle, it is nearly impossible to tell who belongs to who, and that's only with the 30 units per battle I'm doing now, instead of the many dozen that will clash in the final map design.

Status
Not open for further replies.