• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Rotating + adjust point of a model in Magos' Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hi guys,

The attached model has 2 problems:
  1. It's angle is wrong by 90 degrees in-game. When you select Facing degree '270', it looks towards east.
  2. It's sligly off center (see screenshot)

pic-png.369643

I tried fixing this in Magos, as described here Changing the rotation of an attachment

However, I don't know which axis to pick. Trial-and-error left me with some weird result (changing X for example made the end-part of the model point towards to sky...)

Can someone please help adjusting it?

Cheers

Attachments

• MortalStrike.mdx
    3.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Pic.PNG
    Pic.PNG
    233.3 KB · Views: 138
Level 21
It's angle is wrong by 90 degrees in-game. When you select Facing degree '270', it looks towards east.
Changing the angle is just a matter of rotating the mesh (a single plane) around the Z (vertical) axis by -90 degrees.
It's sligly off center (see screenshot)
The one and only bone of the model has a translation which raises it above ground level and the height could make it seem that way depending on the camera angle.

It doesn't seem off-center to me, but I can't tell for sure since I don't have the texture.
However, I don't know which axis to pick.
Oh come on, there are only three of them; it wouldn't have taken more than a few minutes to test, even if you've never used Magos before (and you have).

Attachments

• MortalStrikeRotated.mdx
    3.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Level 12
Thanks a lot! The issue was 2 things... first, I for some reason assumed Z is only for heigth (like in WC3), so I didn't bother playing with this field. And second is that I chose Radians, not Degrees. Also I tried for at least half an hour, because the black preview in Magos looked weird and I always imported it to check in the WC3 editor (+ closing and opening Magos after each try, as I don't know how to "reset"). Learned something I guess.

Regarding off-center/height: After your comment I checked in-game and indeed it has some heigth. And yes, this is what leads to the off-center illusion. I read that I can change this via the Geoset, but the Z-value is already at 0 (both at minimum and maximum extent). How would I change that?

capture-png.369668

Edit: Under "Transform" the Z-value is also 0 (Shockwave missle)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    854.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Level 21
How would I change that?
As I already said, the model has a bone with translation which raises it. I think the Z value is currently set to 60; you might want to make it 5 or 10, but don't make it 0 because it could cause z-fighting with the ground.

Windows > Node Manager; right-click the bone; select Edit Node > Translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.