• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

RPG Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Well, After playing some RPG maps with my friends, I just got hit with an idea to make a good map. Some maps are just *ugh*, and have not even been polished well.

I want to make a simple yet interesting map with heroes(duh), item classes, weapon specialties, ability synergies, item crafting, set item hunting, wars, better quest system, good dungeons/instances and epic terrain.
I have some ideas but you can post your suggestions and thoughts here ^__^

Please suggest a good name if you will... :p

Level 19
Ok, maybe:
There are two continents parallel to each other, separated by a magical force. Those who try to cross the wall would be crushed by magical energy. The two continents is home to two large, powerful empires. Pyrophoenix and Cryophoenix. Both empires waged war for nearly 150 years, until the great sage of the south sealed off both empires. Pyrophoenix are experts in magical combat. They use their intellectual abilities to defeat their enemies. Cryophoenix are experts in weapon combat. They depend on their brute strength or excellent speed at battle. The wall was starting to shatter due to the aging of the sage of the south. The sage formed a circle of mages, which consisted of 6 mages. As long as they lived, the wall would live. But, they were discovered dead, due to an unknown cause.The two empires would fight once more for the quest for glory, gold and power.

So basically, if you want your character to be a mage, join the Pyrophoenix. If you want it to be a warrior or something, be a Cryophoenix soldier. You would form a party of soldiers, consisting of the players in the map, and either restore the mages or win for your empire.

Level 18
Here is an Idea...

I guess you wanted to make a Multiplayer Role Playing Game, here's an idea...

SYNOPSIS...
Twin Phoenix of opposing element (Pyro/Heat & Cyro/Cold) have been fighting for dominance over the realm ever since their rebirth. As the battle rages on for countless ages, mortals began entering the struggle and thus began the Age of Conflict. You [The Player(s)] happen to be caught in this struggle for power and must now choose which side to fight and end this war.

LORE...
Initially, the realm is ruled by a single Entity (The Celestial Phoenix) who by nature goes through the cycle of re-birth as a new, single Phoenix. However, in it's last rebirth, the Phoenix Egg hatches out into 2 separate Phoenixes (Pyro-Phoenix and Cryo-Phoenix) and thus begins this whole struggle.

MORTAL HISTORY SO FAR...
Initially, like the Celestial Phoenix, the mortal empire was united under one banner. It was after the birth of the twin Phoenixes that the mortal empire began to break into fractions and mortal war erupted. Two of the strongest mortal empire each devoted themselves to one of the Twin Phoenixes to fight for supremacy over the realm. The rest of the fraction remain neutral until the time has come to choose sides.

THE SITUATION SO FAR...
The two Phoenixes has reach the end of the cycle and both undergo re-birth as Phoenix Eggs guarded by elites of their devoted empires. Both warring empires continue the struggle as they await the Phoenix Egg to hatch. Both warring empire also plans to ensure only one Phoenix Egg will hatch in this cycle and plots to destroy the opposing Phoenix Egg before it hatches.

THE GAME MAP...
Two large continent separated by sea is owned by the two most strongest empire. To reach the opponent's continent, Player(s) must go through portals which links them to pockets of islands inhabited by different races. Player(s) will be given access to one portal at the beginning. To open portals to other islands, Player(s) must win the support of the island inhabitants fight for the empire's cause.

THE PLAYER(S) SITUATION...
Player(s) will start as Neutral. After selecting their character, Player(s) must choose which side to fight for...

~OPTIONAL~ TO MAKE THINGS DIFFERENT...
Player(s) will choose Race instead of class as their character. Each race have different stats to begin with and gain stats at each level differently. The character learn their skill from several NPC 'Masters'
EXAMPLE 1: A character can be considered a 'Paladin' if it has a Healing spell, a Protection spell, and High Health-Point.
EXAMPLE 2: A character can be considered a 'Mage' if it has an Offense spell, a Area-of-Effect spell, and High Mana-Point.

MAP NAME...
Dawn of the Phoenix
End of Conflict

Level 19
How about there were really just one continent. Then the Celestial Phoenix divided itself to balance the world. But the two entities challenged each other. A cataclysmic war occurred. The war was stopped when a great sage managed to split the continents and creates a sort of block in between it fir the cost of his life. But, he left 6 gears. This gears are spread in both continents. If the gears are removed from their palces, the block would slowly shatter.

Level 8
Cool Ideas! Thanks you... Well the map layout is kind of hard but I decided to make the starting zone in the center of the map so the weakest monsters are located in the middle.

Idea so far:
All players are allied with hidden vision at first.... They must go to one of the factions to join.... One faction may only have up to 5 players...

The class thing.. The idea is awesome, but I don't think I would be able to script that in triggers :/

Adiktuz: Yeah I want it to be a unique RPG map... Do quests, collect items but defeat the opposing faction as well...

Thanks, +Rep to all

Level 5
To add to your class system, an idea I submitted to the Pestilence of Mundus thread as well, you could just have everything decided by items instead. The player starts off as a generic person, no special ability apart from maybe a more powerful version of their autoattack, until they acquire either permenant item (equipable items, say) or a temporary item (on use it grants an ability).

For example, a player who prefers ranged combat would want to acquire a bow; crossbow or gun, a melee player would want a sword; mace; axe or a shield and a mage would want "spellbook" items to start off their chosen class.

This also allows for near infinite customizing as you probably don't want to trigger it so that a player who bought a sword, or melee equivelant, can't get a spellbook. After all, don't battlemages use both sword and spell against their opponents? And who said an archer can't imbue their arrows with magic either?

Level 8
Then just call it The Symphony of Frost and Flame

Cool, SoFaF RPG! Great! Thanks a hell lot!

To add to your class system, an idea I submitted to the Pestilence of Mundus thread as well, you could just have everything decided by items instead. The player starts off as a generic person, no special ability apart from maybe a more powerful version of their autoattack, until they acquire either permenant item (equipable items, say) or a temporary item (on use it grants an ability).

For example, a player who prefers ranged combat would want to acquire a bow; crossbow or gun, a melee player would want a sword; mace; axe or a shield and a mage would want "spellbook" items to start off their chosen class.

This also allows for near infinite customizing as you probably don't want to trigger it so that a player who bought a sword, or melee equivelant, can't get a spellbook. After all, don't battlemages use both sword and spell against their opponents? And who said an archer can't imbue their arrows with magic either?

Intriguing! Yes this will work well. I was trying something like Skyrim but the triggering was really tough so I left it out...
Well, based on your idea, you start out in the main town located in the center. There, you will buy an item and after equipment your class i.e, Common Name changes to let's say, Footman.
However, if I try to mix the two idea(weapon class system and stat class system) it will overlap and the triggering will be near impossible...

Level 8
As in, you don't have a class system triggered into the game, and create a lot of items instead. Some, like spellbooks, grant abilities and others can just be weapons or armour with varied stats.

Hmm, It's a good idea but what I was thing was of everyone starting out with a simple hero unit with 1 physical spell, 1 ranged spell, 1 magic spell. After gaining a few levels, you have to allocate the points you get into either STR, AGI, or INT. then you can choose a path, either be a Knight, Rogue, Cleric, Mage or Warrior. You can only choose your class once. Each path has more paths to choose from and you can buy(ie learn) your skills from your respective class NPC.
I think this will offer a lot more of customization and replayability.
Also, Each class will have two branches of skills and some skills cannot be learned cocurrently with some other spells. Eg: Cleric has Holy and Blood. If you choose Holy then you can become a Priest if you choose Blood you can become a Necromancer.

And, is it possible to make a system like, if a unit casts a spell, then it adds to it's Magic Points and if a unit attacks(like 5 physical melee attacks) it adds a point to it's Battle Points. So if you want to become a Knight for example, you need to have a Level 5 Batlle Skill(every 100 Battle Points=1 Battle Level) and a Level 3 Magic Skill. They also need to have 55 STR and 30 AGI..
If this is possible will someone kickstart the triggering?

Level 16
Anything you do, try to make it as simple as possible if it's multiplayer. Complicated multiplayer maps can be fun, but overly complicated ones are more annoying than fun.

Level 8
Well maybe you could make battle points as lumber then when a spell is casted for x times, you add 1 lumber. You make like an integer that when you cast the spell it adds one to the integer, and when it reaches value x it runs a trigger which adds lumber.

Lumber? That will cause problems.. Cause I'm saving it to use as Attribute Points. And, I was thinking of creating Dummy units whenever a unit lands an attack or cast a spell so that when the dummy count reaches to say, 5, then it will add 1 point to the Battle Points/Magic Points... Wll that work? Or will it cause some problems? If creating +100 units will become a problem then what about 10 DUmmy1 unit is created then it removes them and creates a Dummy2 unit?

Anything you do, try to make it as simple as possible if it's multiplayer. Complicated multiplayer maps can be fun, but overly complicated ones are more annoying than fun.

Yes, I know that. But I don't want it to be as simple as CoT series or some other. They have bad tooltips, descriptions, spells, heroes and storyline with no branches as such. Items are also overpowered in most RPGs and Level is the main factor in you winning. So I was thinking of making all spells non-targetable, so that even a spell like chain lightning must be used as a line spell which bounces off from the first hostile unit it hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.