• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

SC1/SC2 Nydus Canal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I wonder how well this can be pulled off.

So far, this is what I have:

Use a copy of Charge Gold & Lumber, set all the UI stuff to look like it's the "Build Exit" button.

When the order goes out for Charge Gold/Lumber, reset the players gold and add a Build Tiny Building ability to the structure, and then Force UI Key for the hotkey for it.

When the order goes out for the Build Tiny Building, subtract the gold again.

That's just to build it, though. For it to work with Multiple exits, I figured I'd determine the units loaded into the Main Tunnel building, and whenever an exit that is linked to the building, via indexing, is ordered to "Unload" units with a Channel copy, it'll unload the units from the main tunnels cargo hold and teleport them to the exit that issued the first unload order.

But to link the two units together, I don't know...

Last edited:
Level 21
Think of it as buildable tunnels/teleporters. You make one building as entrance and it makes an exit.

Anyway I think you cowered the hard part, shouldn't the teleporting be based of Gateway ability. Give buildings Gateway, no pathing (so units could enter building) and with triggers connect the two buildings and activate the teleporting? The bad side is that all units can teleport so if you want just your own units then I think you'll have to make regions at buildings location and separate teleportation trigger with condition to allow only player units.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
describe how the tunnel works exactly coz not all of us played SC :)
You can try it for free. You can even play all arcade maps without even buying the game. It is also not time limited or anything. Only melee is restricted.

Basically the Nydus worm is a Zerg transport structure. It is built by selecting it from the advanced buildings menu of a Drone and then placing it somewhere on creep. When the drone arrives it will morph itself into the building over time in fairly typical construction procedure that mimics Night Elf ancient build almost 1:1 except placement is closer to undead due to requiring creep.

Once built it can then construct various Nydus exits or warp to existing nydus entrances. Warping is done by loading units into it and then unloading them where you want them (they appear in all nydus worm entrances/exits). The exits are built in a pretty graphic intensive way anywhere and spawn come creep around them. I would strongly advise Youtube to see how the exits are built but that has nothing to do with their operation (eye candy only).

Level 12
describe how the tunnel works exactly coz not all of us played SC :)

I want the Tunnel Main Entrance to connect to all the exits the player owns.

Then, when units load into the tunnel main, you can "Unload" them at one of the exits.

The way I wanted to do this was forcing any main with units loaded into it to unload the units and then teleport them to the exit.

Problems I'm having:

1. Linking the Mains with the Exits.
2. Getting the units to the exit when it is issued to use "Unload" (Which will just be a copy of Channel)

Also, I have another thing about making an SC1-like pathing system for WC3. I know how it would be done, but I'm not that skilled in triggers to actually make it. Should I go ahead and make a new thread?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Also, I have another thing about making an SC1-like pathing system for WC3. I know how it would be done, but I'm not that skilled in triggers to actually make it. Should I go ahead and make a new thread?
I would not do anything with pathing because JASS is very slow. Additionally SC2 pathing performs similar to WC3 as far as route finding goes so I have no idea why you would want to downgrade to some buggy and useless path-finding as it clearly was determined to be something they improved in the sequel.
1. Linking the Mains with the Exits.
PPI groups. Add units to groups when entering. Unload the group when desired. Sadly selecting specific units to unload or scanning contained units through a page based interface like SC2 is impossible or not worth doing.

2. Getting the units to the exit when it is issued to use "Unload" (Which will just be a copy of Channel)
No units are actually loaded anywhere on the map. Instead instantly unload them and hide them in a corner. When you issue unload use the PPI group to move them in a staggered way to the destination and unhide them.

Level 12
I would not do anything with pathing because JASS is very slow. Additionally SC2 pathing performs similar to WC3 as far as route finding goes so I have no idea why you would want to downgrade to some buggy and useless path-finding as it clearly was determined to be something they improved in the sequel.

PPI groups. Add units to groups when entering. Unload the group when desired. Sadly selecting specific units to unload or scanning contained units through a page based interface like SC2 is impossible or not worth doing.

No units are actually loaded anywhere on the map. Instead instantly unload them and hide them in a corner. When you issue unload use the PPI group to move them in a staggered way to the destination and unhide them.

It's not exactly pathing, per say. I am using WC3s actual path-finding but I want my units to space out more like how they do in BW because it allows for much more micro potential.

I made a thread about it, and have a lot of stuff to help figure it out. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/world-editor-help-zone-98/custom-pathing-system-258815/

I can't just dedicate some corner of the map to hiding units... I intend for this melee mod to be playable on tons of different high-detailed maps.

And actually, people have made custom transport systems that can accurately detect what units are loaded into a transport. But I'm not worried about that, really.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I can't just dedicate some corner of the map to hiding units... I intend for this melee mod to be playable on tons of different high-detailed maps.
No one said "dedicate". Just you use a corner to avoid the icons from appearing on the map. It can be out of camera bounds even as long as it is still on the field. The units are hidden so will sit there doing nothing.

It cannot possibly work you ask? Well that is how WC3 heroes work when they die and are not revived. Check it out for yourself! When WC3 heroes die they are hidden and moved to the top left of the play field usually out of bounds. If you move them using triggers and un-hide them they will appear at whatever location you want at the end of their dissipate or death animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.