• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

skinning, rigging and animatiing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okey those questions are connected with 3ds max.
I know that skinning is not the same thing like in wc3 modeling, is jointing vertexes to bones.
Then what is difference beetwin rigged and animated model?
Isnt rigged models automaticaly and animated?
Try to explain me what is what, and what is difference. Please try to be short and clear.
I think rigging is when you have skinned/jointed model and then you pose him.
Or rigging is when model is only posed, without playing animations, while animated is when he play animations.

Level 29
Skinning is a global term for the act of attaching geometry to bones in modeling software.
For some reason this site likes to call texturing, the act of making an image that unwraps on a model, skinning.

Rigging means skinning + other things like setting weights, degrees of freedom, limits for rotations and such, inverse kinematic chains, and everything else that let's you control your character in the way you want.

From there you actually animate your skeleton, by creating key frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.