• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

STOP/Bluescreen error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Hello.

Over the past few days I've been experiencing several Warcraft III fatal errors. I initially associated these errors with overheating, since the board temperature is always over 50ºC (or is it the CPU? My monitoring program displays it that way, but the computer's SETUP switches them). Interestingly, the cooling fan's speed would also lower when I opened up the case, causing the temperature to maintain or increase.

Today I tried blowing air directly into the computer while playing a Warcraft III melee map. No avail: it crashed on me.

More recently, I began having STOP/Bluescreen errors. By this time I already had cleaned the computer twice and performed a system error check. Today I ran yet another system error check and CCleaner, and they keep happening.
They happen for very weird reasons. A while ago I had a Bluescreen error. When the desktop loaded up, the Anti-Virus failed to load with an error message, and when I clicked "OK", bam, the computer had the Bluescreen error again.

So I'm needing help to fix the problem. I have began to wonder if I accidentally sucked something with the vacuum cleaner when I cleaned up the computer... but I don't remember anything on the computer left loose?
I'm running Windows XP, 2.40 GHz with 512 of RAM (laugh all you want)... whatever other informations you need which might help solve the problem, please ask.

Level 7
The usual thing would be to try reseating your cards as you may have inadvertently nudged them when you were cleaning. (I know it's a pain.)
One problem I've had is that my cpu's thermal glue/paste was weakening causing it to overheat. I reapplied it and my errors stopped..

Good luck!

Level 7
It's up to you.

I don't use gloves but I always make sure to discharge any static buildup and always work on the case on a wood or tile floor while barefoot. You could also make sure the computer is grounded which would mean it's plugged in - dangerous with a normal power cord (I use one with all the prongs except the grounding snapped off).

All that to say, it's up to you and how cautious you want to be. Static damage to your computer components can sometimes be instant or it can be the result of numerous instances of mishandling.

Level 7
Just touch a cold water pipe and don't wear anything that builds up static.

And, obviously, don't go touching the pins...

Level 34
And, obviously, don't go touching the pins...

Rui, did you or did you not unplug the cooling fan from the processor? If yes, here's your problem.

NEVER unplug your cooling fan, not even for maintenance(!), unless you want to replace it with a better/newer one. If you unplug your cooling fan from your processor, you 'disrupt' the use of the cooling paste on your processor, allowing it to build up heat without guiding the heat towards the heatsinks.

If this really this issue: Carefully remove the old cooling paste from the heatsinks ánd processor, apply new cooling paste and carefully plug the cooling fan back in.

Rui says:
Today I tried blowing air directly into the computer while playing a Warcraft III melee map. No avail: it crashed on me.

Note: Opening your computercase and blowing air (with an outside fan) in it doesn't help that much. Opening your case even prevents your inside cooling from cooling down your computer since it can't keep the cold air inside the computer (because you opened it).

Rui:
More recently, I began having STOP/Bluescreen errors. By this time I already had cleaned the computer twice and performed a system error check. Today I ran yet another system error check and CCleaner, and they keep happening.
They happen for very weird reasons. A while ago I had a Bluescreen error. When the desktop loaded up, the Anti-Virus failed to load with an error message, and when I clicked "OK", bam, the computer had the Bluescreen error again.
It could be possible that you fucked up your whole computer, try reinstalling Windows again.

If all fails: Ask an professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.