• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Solved] Store special effect variable problem

Level 5
Hello, I store the model path of an existing animation in Warcraft 3 in a string variable.
  • Set Spell_Point = Target point of ability being cast
  • Set Spell_Effect = Abilities\Weapons\PhoenixMissile\Phoenix_Missile.mdl
But when I call up by the following it does not appear, the rest of the trigger runs normally.
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of (Triggering unit) using Spell_Effect
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect at Spell_Point using Spell_Effect
It runs normally when I change the trigger to
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of (Triggering unit) using Abilities\Weapons\PhoenixMissile\Phoenix_Missile.mdl
There is a post about this but it only mentions about imported models, I don't know other model path of existing models.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 65
I don't have a Phoenix_Missile model, I have:
Code:
Abilities\Weapons\PhoenixMissile\Phoenix_Missile_mini.mdl
1715683862775.png

^ You can determine the model path of anything by looking it up in the Object Editor.

Edit: Nevermind, I see what you mean:
1715684047912.png

It doesn't appear in the Preset list for some reason.

Try removing .mdl from the String.

Level 5
I also tried that out but nothing happens. Maybe I need to upgrade to latest version so that I can see the Preset field in the model. Just a trigger to change some effect of a unit when it picks up and drop an item but I think using integer or boolean variables should be more handy. Thanks anyway!

Level 40
Is it possible that since you’re storing it as a string variable the backslashes are all being interpreted as escape characters?

That’s a thing GUI should never have to deal with (and I haven’t encountered that myself) as it should be confined to JASS/custom script lines.

Try that with double backslashes in the path name to escape the escape character.

Level 5
Is it possible that since you’re storing it as a string variable the backslashes are all being interpreted as escape characters?

That’s a thing GUI should never have to deal with (and I haven’t encountered that myself) as it should be confined to JASS/custom script lines.

Try that with double backslashes in the path name to escape the escape character.

You're correct! I change all the default backslashes in the string variable into the forward slashes and it displays the animation.