• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Survey on important elements in a RPG map

Elements that are important in a RPG map(please state the reasons)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I would like to have a survey on the important elements in a RPG map to scratch some features in my upcoming rpg project. (I'll be away for few days maybe so don't expect any reply from me.) In the meanwhile, everyone are welcome to post a short (I MEAN SHORT) paragraph on what should be included in a RPG map and what shouldn't be in there. Thanks for all your opinions ^_^~

Level 10
Quests:
Not a linear set of quests (Quest #1, #2, #3...etc), but quests that create a story (more importantly, a story you create), give the game purpose, and eventually lead to an end.
Storyline:
Not necessarily a full background story+game story, but something to give the RPG context (you're a 10 year old boy who decides to go out and explore the world, train his pet animals and defeat his rival and the top 4 best pet owners).
Of course, the game-play should create a storyline following what you do (more difficult the more players)
Special Features:
I have no ideas here, but you need something new or something rarely used to make the game fun and new.
Other:
Environments should be a nice addition, giving the game a nice look, and interest the player in exploring.

Level 1
Landmine thanks for being the only 1 who reply :vw_unimpressed:
I agreed with you that quest system plays a very important role in a rpg. After days of research I found out that there are many typical disadvantages of quest system in the others rpg, as listed below :
1. The quests are typically giving exp and gold as reward only.
2. The quests are almost impossible to complete at early stage of the game. (e.g. impossible boss when even 4+ players try to kill it...it took almost 1 hour to finish it and the reward are just exp and gold...)
3. The quests are lacking of correct indicator to the npc. (e.g. the quest request you to talk to a person but didn't state where is him...and you had to search around the map. Maybe some hidden quest are suitable to do so but however I think that it will be better for normal quest to be indicating where someone or something is)
4. The quests are scattered around and only job change quest are obligatory.
5. The quests are almost the same just with different name.

Hence, after days and nights of pounding, I finally came out with a quest system idea which will be one of the features in my upcoming rpg map project for year 2011.
Quest System:
Quests are divided into a few types with Storyline quest being obligatory.( e.g. teasure hunt quest, dungeon quest, etc.)
Quests rewards are not bound to exp and gold only.
Quests will clearly stated where to find the specific person or things.
Quests will not only be like kill something and return for reward.
Quests bosses will only be found in dungeons with difficulty settings. (e.g. easy mode for 2+ players, normal mode for 4+ players and hard mode for 6+ players. The drops of the boss will also varies accordingly.)
Quests will be written in a new window seperated from F9 for more customizable details. (Not sure whether it's possible but I'll try my best ^_^)

More details of this system will be included in my proposal for the rpg map 2011 project coming soon.

Rym

Rym

Level 3
the most important thing on creating an RPG "Role-play game" is how to make a story or plot and the game environment to sink-in on a player. to make him/her feel every aspect of the game. not just a character moving on a map and doing anything there.

-make a path of the game. leading somewhere on a continuous manner with the involvement of the players character in the game.
-surprise element will add excitement in the game forcing the player react on that matter. (another game and player interaction.)

Again, just create a game that will make the player feel that they are belong in the game plot/story.

Status
Not open for further replies.