• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

The Benefits of Saving Information to Dummies

The Benefits of Saving Information to Dummies

Theory and Framing

Certain effects that modify the traits of a unit cause problems with MUI, or cause problems when they fire multiple times upon the same unit before the duration of the original effect has ended. This happens due to values being overwritten, causing Warcraft to "forget" about information it was given. This tutorial will focus on how we can utilize dummy units to save information and ensure MUI​

Quick Disclaimer

The trigger examples in this tutorial use a unit indexer, which simplifies the dynamic indexing process for ease/readability. As such, anytime you see
  • Set handle = (Custom value of unit1)
Please be aware that this is in lieu of dynamic indexing. This tutorial will work the same way if you utilize hashtables as your MUI beast of choice.

Our Method

• Unit - Create 1 Dummy for player at (some point) facing Default building facing degrees
  • Set unit1 = (Last created unit)
  • Set handle = (Custom value of unit1)
  • Set unithandle[handle] = (some unit)
So what exactly are we doing here? After creating a dummy, we assign a variable to it. We then retrieve the custom value of the dummy to use it for dynamic indexing. We save the unit we are going to act upon using the custom value of the dummy. By saving the unit with the custom value of the dummy, we are binding the unit to the dummy.

What are the benefits of saving the unit we want to modify to our dummy? I'm glad you asked! Whenever some event fires (usually a spell being cast, but this could work with any event), we are creating a unit which will hold information for us. By creating a unit to hold information each time the event fires, we are able to make sure that each firing of the event works correctly on the unit firing the event, even if one unit fires the event multiple times before any of them have finished. We also ensure that the information pertaining to a unit isn't overwritten or changed prematurely!

So what are some practical applications of this technique?
  • Abilities that stack on themselves independently (each stack has a separate duration, instead of refreshing the duration for all stacks)
  • Abilities that modify hero attributes (multiple modifications without this method may cause permanent attribute gain/loss if not handled correctly!)
  • Multiple knock backs on a unit with different directions/forces (in cases where the knock back is saved to the unit being knocked back, another knockback from the same source will override the first)

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Mhm. But even in GUI there are alternatives.

You should perhaps argue negatives and positives other approaches. For example, if I want to use hashtables normally, why should I use this method over a hashtable workaround
When I used GUI I worked exclusively with hashtables, unit indexers was a no-go

Last edited:
Level 40
I... really don't understand the point of this tutorial. As someone extremely familiar with the WE's ins and outs, it is very ubclear what this tutorial is going to teach me and why I would do this way over any other way is left unmentuoned. Both of those are important! Imagine an actual noob trying to grok this.

Your method here boils down to this:
  1. Give units indices, somehow. Your method specifies "in lieu of a unit indexer" but does not explain what that is, why it's important, and how you should go about this if you DID have an indexer installed.
  2. Use the unit's index as an array index for any data you might store.
That's... not really a method. It's literally using a unit indexer for what its supposed to be used for. Nothing more nothjng less. And at the end of the day you've just replaced GetHandleId() with GetUnitIndex() and used array set/read rather than a hashtable save/load. I get that maybe hashtables seem intimidating to GUI users, but they are so useful and versatile I would never recommend a GUI user do anything else. Especially since even though you can't do Handle ID of (YourUnitVariable), you can set some of the blizzard globals (like bj_lastCreatedUnit) and use the event response functions to get Handle ID of (last created unit).

Additionally, this method cannot be directly applied to attaching data to timers, one of if not the most common data types to necessitate attaching data in the first place. You also only have one example bit of code, which is imo insufficient for a tutorial (give complete example or something more complex as well).

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
That's... not really a method. It's literally using a unit indexer for what its supposed to be used for.
The difference is that a unit indexer is traditionally attaching data to a unit that is directly involved in an event. (example, caster of a spell) Which means that casting two spells with the same unit usually overwrites values rater than stacking. So there is a difference in method.

This method makes it like a ghetto struct in a sense.

Level 40
The whole reason Unit Indexers were introduced was because the H2I return bug wouldn't always give you numbers you could use in arrays. Now that we have GetHandleId() that starts at 0 with no units on the map and the ability to go beyond 0-8191 in array indexes, they're not super necessary any more. Coming at the tutorial from that direction ("You could use an indexer but instead do this ") might make a certain amount of sense. What really needs to happen is Blizzard allows using GetHandleId() on variables in GUI, because right now you can only use it on event responses and a few other trigger editor functions (unless you manually set, for example, bj_lastCreatedUnit before its equivalent GUI event response that in your handle id call).

The difference is that a unit indexer is traditionally attaching data to a unit that is directly involved in an event.
Unless something changed drastically in the last two years, a unit indexer is explicitly a system that gives each unit a unique ID number that can be used for parallel arrays (or hashtables, or static struct instances, etc.). Sometimes the indexer saves the unit's index to its custom value, sometimes they save them in hashtables, sometimes their own structs using GetHandleId(). At the end of the day, all an indexer does is convert unique units into unique numbers for you to use. Attaching data to the unit is not a necessary function of the system, though many include the ability to do so. I find myself attaching data to timers far more often than I do to units.

Which means that casting two spells with the same unit usually overwrites values rater than stacking.
If my indexer gives me unique numbers for unique units, I never have to worry about data collision if I just make separate arrays for each 'thing' that uses the indexer. Get ID, save data in variables prefixed with "spellname_", and use that variable wherever else it needs to be used. I know you're not the OP here, but if what I just said sounds really simple and exactly like the tutorial they wrote, that's because again all the tutorial tells you to do is use an indexer to get a unique number and use that number for your arrays. I sound like I'm talking in circles because this tutorial really isn't about anything other than how you should use an indexer properly without hashtables.

This method makes it like a ghetto struct in a sense.
Yes, but GUI parallel arrays have always been ghetto structs.

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Unless something changed drastically in the last two years, a unit indexer is explicitly a system that gives each unit a unique ID number that can be used for parallel arrays (or hashtables, or static struct instances, etc.). Sometimes the indexer saves the unit's index to its custom value, sometimes they save them in hashtables, sometimes their own structs using GetHandleId(). At the end of the day, all an indexer does is convert unique units into unique numbers for you to use. Attaching data to the unit is not a necessary function of the system, though many include the ability to do so. I find myself attaching data to timers far more often than I do to units.
As you say, the system does not enforce a certain way of using it. It just hands out an id to use.
However, the common practice I seem to spot for GUI users who use this is to bind it to a unit in a manner which does not stack. This makes it easier in a lot of cases even if it is not required.

Yes, but GUI parallel arrays have always been ghetto structs.
Not in most cases, unless a struct instance is bound to a unit which is not always the case.

Level 40
However, the common practice I seem to spot for GUI users who use this is to bind it to a unit in a manner which does not stack. This makes it easier in a lot of cases even if it is not required.
You do point out why it's a simple path many tread, but should we not try to steer them in the right direction? Properly learning to use your indexer of choice is a far more valuable skill than hacking a shitty method to work simply by creating new units to use it on. A tutorial with "why not to do this", "what you should do instead", and "how to determine if your data will be overwritten by multiple attaches in a system like this" seems more appropriate for the subject matter.
Not in most cases, unless a struct instance is bound to a unit which is not always the case.
I'm not arguing to be right, I'm just curious how this distinction is meaningful to you? Structs members are arrays, so structs are literally giant sets of parallel arrays... therefore parallel arrays are ghetto structs. The data exists regardless of whether you 'bind' the struct (or your arrays) to any other object, just like the specific instance of data stays in your giant parallel arrays stays there if you forget which index you actually need to flush.

I... really don't understand the point of this tutorial.

You do point out why it's a simple path many tread, but should we not try to steer them in the right direction? Properly learning to use your indexer of choice is a far more valuable skill than hacking a shitty method to work simply by creating new units to use it on.

Ahhh, the classic "don't understand, talk shit". Is it a shitty method or do you fail to understand how small shifts in framing problems can make life insanely easy?

I'm going to boil this tutorial down for you as much as possible.

BY CREATING A UNIT EACH TIME WE WISH TO SAVE DATA, WE CAN HAVE MULTIPLE PIECES OF SIMILAR DATA SAVED BY THE SAME UNIT AT THE SAME TIME.

We either get a unique integer from the unit indexer, or by retrieving the unit handle and saving to a hashtable (effectively a unique integer)

Most GUI users crafting custom spells will use unit groups and timer loops. If we use the caster in a loop every cast, we will overwrite data. If we use a dummy for each cast, we are essentially giving every single cast a unique integer and tying it back to the caster, instead of the same integer for each cast by the same caster.

Lets say we have a spell that saps 10 strength for 30 seconds, with a 10 second cooldown. If we loop through using the casters index for each cast, we are going to overwrite data

CAST 1: +10 str, 30 second duration is saved as duration[castershandle]
CAST 2: +20 str, 30 second duration is saving over itself at duration[castershandle]
CAST 3:+30 str, 30 second duration (etc.)
30 SECONDS LATER
-10 str, the caster still has permanently taken +20 str from the target (probably not what the effect is intended to do)

If we generate a unit for each cast, the unit has a unique integer, allowing stacks to work

CAST 1: +10 str, 30 second duration saved as duration[dummy1]
CAST 2: +20 str, 30 second duration saved as duration[dummy2], duration[dummy1] is at 20 seconds
CAST 3: +30 str, 30 seconds on duration[dummy3], 20 on duration[dummy2], 10 on duration[dummy1]
10 SECONDS LATER
-10 str from duration[dummy1], caster has +20
10 SECONDS LATER
-10 str from duration[dummy2], caster has +10
10 SECONDS LASTER
-10 str from duration[dummy3], caster has 0, target has 0

Honestly, this method is incredibly easy to implement in GUI, fits into common GUI coding practices, works with hashtables and dynamic indexing, and extends the range of what can be MUI in GUI. Saying this isn't using a unit indexer properly or is a shitty hack of a method just shows a lack of understanding on your end, not a problem with the method. This allows GUI users to think about and frame problems in new ways.

A tutorial with "why not to do this", "what you should do instead", and "how to determine if your data will be overwritten by multiple attaches in a system like this" seems more appropriate for the subject matter.

Your method here boils down to this:
  1. Give units indices, somehow. Your method specifies "in lieu of a unit indexer" but does not explain what that is, why it's important, and how you should go about this if you DID have an indexer installed.
  2. Use the unit's index as an array index for any data you might store.

And yet, here you are stating exactly what this method is. Do you fail to see the practical application of generating unique integers for every cast, even with the practical applications I put inside the tutorial that would obviously and easily benefit from having unique integers for each cast? Or did you decide to go 95% of the way there on the concept and stop to shitpost all over my tutorial?

As far as the scope of the tutorial, please take another peak at the title. The Benefits of Saving Information to Dummies. Not "How to use a unit indexer, also how to stack abilities". Also not "Baby's first indexing event for new friends who need hand holding". The indexing isn't the important part of this tutorial. You should consider writing a tutorial yourself, since you seem to have a lot of unrelated bullshit to say on mine.

Level 40
Oho boy, sooooomeone got butthurt because I critiqued their tutorial in the tutorial submission section. What the fuck were you looking for, instant praise and adoration? No, I gave feedback.

I'm not ignorant, I'm approaching this tutorial as a noob would, rather than as someone with experience. I've been modding wc3 since it came out, and if I spent the time to read through your tutorial multiple times and I still don't understand the basic essence of why it exists (either by my admission of confusion in my post, or your accusation of misunderstanding in your post)... then do you think someone with very scant WE knowledge is going to get it? Do you think they're going to instantly recognize why they might find this solution preferable to others? You aimed this tutorial at inexperienced GUI users and then didn't adequately explain the purpose and method in simple terms that laid out the explicit benefits of doing things that way. I say you "aimed it at them" despite you saying above that it's not "baby's first unit indexer" or whatever because of the subject matter of the tutorial itself. Would a reasonably competent GUI user think to google to find this thread? Probably not. The content of your tutorial and the way you explained it are mismatched, in my opinion. If you want to help new mappers you need to use lots of examples (ffs at least one fully-written trigger example), links (usually to other tutorials), and explanations of the new/confusing/unusual terms ("unit indexer" is a good example here, that phrase is meaningless to a noob). You have precisely zero of these. I don't think arguing that this is for advanced mappers is reasonable since it's really not the solution you should be using to do things like this anyway and you also didn't really approach/explain anything at a high level either.

If you think the example you gave to me is such a perfect explanation of why you might want to use this method... why didn't you put such an example in the tutorial? I suggested you should in my previous post and you didn't quote that part so IDK if you actually read it. But okay let me tear down that example in just one sentence: when any instance of the debuff expires on a unit... how do you get the unit index (the one you'll need to flush) back again? The index you got from the dummy unit. That has locust and doesn't interact with anything on the map. That you didn't save into a variable you can't be sure wasn't overwritten (the problem you're trying to solve here), that you didn't save in a hashtable (because for some reason you're not using them (I get it the point of the tutorial is an alternative to hashtables)), and that you didn't 'attach' to another unit in some other way (because that runs into the same problems).

Go ahead, write an example of that strength sapping ability using your method that DOESN'T use a specific timed life on the dummy and the death event of the dummy unit to get back the proper index, restore the strength, and flush the data. No GUI novice is going to think of THAT method to get it back, and you didn't even mention it in your post.

You have also failed to address the fact that attaching to units is usually second-most-necessary to attaching to timers, to which this method cannot in any way be applied.

And yet, here you are stating exactly what this method is. Do you fail to see the practical application of generating unique integers for every cast, even with the practical applications I put inside the tutorial that would obviously and easily benefit from having unique integers for each cast? Or did you decide to go 95% of the way there on the concept and stop to shitpost all over my tutorial?
I stated it so simply because it's not a method. Dude you wrote a tutorial that just tells people to use an indexer to do what an indexer is supposed to do. That's the entirety of the method you posted. Get (handle) ID, use ID in array index. It's not that I don't understand your method, I simply don't understand why this is a tutorial at all. If you had properly aimed it at noobs (as I have outlined above) then I would accept it as a tutorial with legitimate purpose, but as of now it's short, unexplained, and without a complete example. If you're trying to show how it is beneficial (as your title states), then write 1 example using this method and write 1 example using a different method, showing how this method is superior/more convenient/intuitive/simpler/whatever.
The indexing isn't the important part of this tutorial.
...it's the the ONLY thing there is in the tutorial. Do you agree with my 2 steps you quoted? It sounds like you do, and that's basically the only thing you suggest users do/interact with in this method.
You should consider writing a tutorial yourself, since you seem to have a lot of unrelated bullshit to say on mine.
lol, like I've never properly explained something in my life
I didn't attack you, your character, or your ideas; I attacked the tutorial you wrote and submitted for feedback... but you seem to be having a great time doing so to me. I wonder who's in the wrong here.

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Fun fact by the way, I think this method is convenient but ugly and reminds me of classic WoW.

In classic WoW they used invisible rabbits which they killed with code in order to complete certain quests.
The reason is that the quest API was built as either "kill X, collect Y, or talk to Z" if a quest had different criteria it could not be completed.
So if there was an escort quest they killed an invisible rabbit once the unit reached a certain point in order to complete the quest.

This method feels kinda similar where it is convenient but subpar.
A solution that comes to mind is dynamic indexing. As far as I know it solves the problem without this workaround.
Still, my problem is not so much the solution itself but more along the lines of if it would be "ok" for the spell section, and I am not sure as I do not believe I have seen this approach in an approved GUI spell before.

Oho boy, sooooomeone got butthurt because I critiqued their tutorial in the tutorial submission section. What the fuck were you looking for, instant praise and adoration? No, I gave feedback.

I'm not ignorant, I'm approaching this tutorial as a noob would, rather than as someone with experience. I've been modding wc3 since it came out, and if I spent the time to read through your tutorial multiple times and I still don't understand the basic essence of why it exists (either by my admission of confusion in my post, or your accusation of misunderstanding in your post)... then do you think someone with very scant WE knowledge is going to get it? Do you think they're going to instantly recognize why they might find this solution preferable to others? You aimed this tutorial at inexperienced GUI users and then didn't adequately explain the purpose and method in simple terms that laid out the explicit benefits of doing things that way. I say you "aimed it at them" despite you saying above that it's not "baby's first unit indexer" or whatever because of the subject matter of the tutorial itself. Would a reasonably competent GUI user think to google to find this thread? Probably not. The content of your tutorial and the way you explained it are mismatched, in my opinion. If you want to help new mappers you need to use lots of examples (ffs at least one fully-written trigger example), links (usually to other tutorials), and explanations of the new/confusing/unusual terms ("unit indexer" is a good example here, that phrase is meaningless to a noob). You have precisely zero of these. I don't think arguing that this is for advanced mappers is reasonable since it's really not the solution you should be using to do things like this anyway and you also didn't really approach/explain anything at a high level either.

If you think the example you gave to me is such a perfect explanation of why you might want to use this method... why didn't you put such an example in the tutorial? I suggested you should in my previous post and you didn't quote that part so IDK if you actually read it. But okay let me tear down that example in just one sentence: when any instance of the debuff expires on a unit... how do you get the unit index (the one you'll need to flush) back again? The index you got from the dummy unit. That has locust and doesn't interact with anything on the map. That you didn't save into a variable you can't be sure wasn't overwritten (the problem you're trying to solve here), that you didn't save in a hashtable (because for some reason you're not using them (I get it the point of the tutorial is an alternative to hashtables)), and that you didn't 'attach' to another unit in some other way (because that runs into the same problems).

Go ahead, write an example of that strength sapping ability using your method that DOESN'T use a specific timed life on the dummy and the death event of the dummy unit to get back the proper index, restore the strength, and flush the data. No GUI novice is going to think of THAT method to get it back, and you didn't even mention it in your post.

You have also failed to address the fact that attaching to units is usually second-most-necessary to attaching to timers, to which this method cannot in any way be applied.

I stated it so simply because it's not a method. Dude you wrote a tutorial that just tells people to use an indexer to do what an indexer is supposed to do. That's the entirety of the method you posted. Get (handle) ID, use ID in array index. It's not that I don't understand your method, I simply don't understand why this is a tutorial at all. If you had properly aimed it at noobs (as I have outlined above) then I would accept it as a tutorial with legitimate purpose, but as of now it's short, unexplained, and without a complete example. If you're trying to show how it is beneficial (as your title states), then write 1 example using this method and write 1 example using a different method, showing how this method is superior/more convenient/intuitive/simpler/whatever.
...it's the the ONLY thing there is in the tutorial. Do you agree with my 2 steps you quoted? It sounds like you do, and that's basically the only thing you suggest users do/interact with in this method.

lol, like I've never properly explained something in my life
I didn't attack you, your character, or your ideas; I attacked the tutorial you wrote and submitted for feedback... but you seem to be having a great time doing so to me. I wonder who's in the wrong here.

Lol you still don't get it.

Mods, please graveyard this tutorial if you don't find it approval worthy. I absolutely will not update it.

(because for some reason you're not using them (I get it the point of the tutorial is an alternative to hashtables)),

How many times do I have to tell you this method works with both hashtables and dynamic indexing?

Really dude reread what I have written, then read your responses to it. You keep arguing against what you think this tutorial is, instead of what the tutorial actually is.

Your signature is a laff and a haff bud, but maybe you should add a bit about the reading comprehension you so desperately need

Also if you don't want people to flame you, try the following technique
*DON'T say what you are reading is shitty and also say you don't understand it

Your feedback was "This is shitty and I don't understand"

Then your feedback was "You should do this method that doesn't do the same thing"

Finally your feedback is "OP must be mad because he cursed at me"

I get it man. You don't get it. It's that simple.

I'm choosing to quote this section so you can know that I saw it and still ignored you.

Last edited:
What a discussion!^^..

We should compare:

Dummy Unit MethodDynamic Indexing (link)

Key/Access to data ..
Create dummy unitAllocate integer from list

Access to key..
Loop through group with all dummies O(n)Loop through all used integers, O(n)

Data accessible from caster?
NoNo
How I understand MUI is ensured, this method is delegating indexing (in form of hash or unit indexer) to a dummy unit, instead of an integer.

One could argue for the dummy method..
  • usage of a unit group to loop over dummies -> no algorithm for allocating/deallocating indices is required that keep keys in bounds. Simple add() and remove() can be used.
  • there is no extra onDestroy overhead, like one writes LastIndex back to CurrentIndex in dynamic indexing, when one instance ended.
One could argue against the dummy unit method..
  • indexing method, extra for the dummy, is required. A hashtable, or a unit indexer has to be used.
  • more heavy and less performant, as objects like a unit is for sure more memory costly and slower to operate with than using native integers. A unit may be also detected through other codes while it exists only for existing.
  • dummy unit in object editor is needed, which might mean extra effort
So others than usages, or installation I lack of seeing functional differences that might benefit or disadvantage the user, when using dummy-method instead of dynamic indexing, or vice versa.

===

It would be useful if some more things are explained at begining. Like one would wonder why there is actually a problem with what exactly? -> There might be a problem when using the 'caster' as only key to store data, so in consequence the caster can not store multiple packages of data at same time. A new unique key is needed each time, that can be used to access data.

Good when it comes to dealing with Unit Indexer. However, as argued, Dynamic Indexing can be an alternative for this matter.
Oh, @IcemanBo add the fact that unit has permanent leak while integer does not. I see the tutorial has it's purpose but the way it's currently explained is not really helpful to newer people who approach GUI MUI coding.

Level 40
It would be useful if some more things are explained at begining. Like one would wonder why there is actually a problem with what exactly? -> There might be a problem when using the 'caster' as only key to store data, so in consequence the caster can not store multiple packages of data at same time. A new unique key is needed each time, that can be used to access data.
I see the tutorial has it's purpose but the way it's currently explained is not really helpful to newer people who approach GUI MUI coding.
Trying to bring this up with the OP is pointless; they didn't listen to me and they won't listen to you.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
So I am quite split on this after coming back to it.

The main thing for this tutorial is that the method showcased is relatively easy to use compared to alternatives to achieve the same effect. (in GUI)

However there are quite a few cons, I would say.

• Firstly, I think the example is lackluster and not sufficient. I understood it by just reading the title and some of the tutorial, I did not need the trigger example. I suspect that if someone with less experience/knowledge came here to learn I don't think the example is clear enough to show an uncertain user exactly how to put it into practice. It only showed the very starting point and I think a full example of a finished spell/system using this method would be ideal.
  • The target audience for this is very small, I think. The primary uses for this method require what I would consider advanced knowledge, and very few capable of such stick to GUI rather than text-based code which has cleaner solutions at hand.
  • Similarly, the method usage itself is also very niche I would say. I cannot think of a time when I have required the use of something similar to this back when I was a GUI purist. In addition, I see very few asking about such in the WEHZ.
I would be willing to look past the last two points as there is a case to be made about simply accepting niche but useful tutorials.
However, I firmly believe this needs an extended trigger example in order to be considered finished.

Author stated that he does not intend to update this tutorial, but I'll leave it in the submissions for a week or two just in case before graveyarding it unless updated.

edit: graveyarded

Last edited: