• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

"Using reflections in terrain"

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
It actually says in the tutorial.

There is a question I have been getting about this since July 2010 when I first posted it. Does this work for playable maps i.e. with the standard isometric game camera? The answer is, yes. But you need one more thing for it. The standard WE skybox isn't a full box; it has two sides missing. The upper side and the lower side. This is because ingame you only really see it from conventional angles in cinematics. So if you apply the alpha tile with the standard game camera on, you will see a tiny bit of sky texture and then pitch black. You are getting the lower side of the skybox. To fix this you need a skybox with no missing sides, alternatively a skysphere.

You can use the storm/cloudspheres from http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/ultimate-terraining-map-4-0-a-252232/ to do it. Set the RGB value for (tint) the stormsphere to 0/0/0, set a terrain fog and put down some cloudspheres. It will probably take a few tries, but that's how you go about doing it.

Level 13
use the storm/cloudspheres
Is the UberCloud model one of those? Because that's the one I tried using, but with bad results.

Set the RGB value for (tint) the stormsphere to 0/0/0
If you're talking about doing this with the above mentioned model, 0 R/G/B makes it invisible.

set a terrain fog
Are you talking about Map Properties --> Options? Because I already have a terrain fog set and it seemed to make little difference.

put down some cloudspheres
multiple of this doodad? It's freaking huge, am I supposed to resize it and make it smaller? Also, unless im going to resize it and make it the size of my entire 256x256 map, it causes an issue at where it comes up from the ground. This could be avoided possible by putting the entire sphere under the alpha tile? But then it might be too far below to render.

thanks for the reply

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Is the UberCloud model one of those? Because that's the one I tried using, but with bad results.
Yeah it's that whole set. As I said, it takes a few tries.

If you're talking about doing this with the above mentioned model, 0 R/G/B makes it invisible.
Not the cloudspheres, the stormsphere. When you place the stormsphere with its RGB value set to 0, it will only be affected by the fog gradient and turn it the same colour. You can practically use any object to cover the missing side of the skybox up as long as it's lowered enough to be completely covered by the fog.

Are you talking about Map Properties --> Options? Because I already have a terrain fog set and it seemed to make little difference.
Which Z Start/End settings? Try setting Z Start to 0 and Z End to 8000, and then set a colour that isn't black.

You will also have to enable the fog. The shorthand in the editor is F. Ingame you will have to apply it with a script or trigger.

multiple of this doodad? It's freaking huge, am I supposed to resize it and make it smaller? Also, unless im going to resize it and make it the size of my entire 256x256 map, it causes an issue at where it comes up from the ground. This could be avoided possible by putting the entire sphere under the alpha tile? But then it might be too far below to render.
You can set the default scale to 0.1, min scale to min, and max scale to max, and scale it from there. You could probably also make them flat, scale them so it fits the size of your pond/lake/whatever, and lower them just below ground.

If the cloudspheres don't fly, you can probably use other cloud models. There are a few more in the UTM. It's just experimenting from there.

Level 13
Which Z Start/End settings? Try setting Z Start to 0 and Z End to 8000, and then set a colour that isn't black.

You will also have to enable the fog. The shorthand in the editor is F. Ingame you will have to apply it with a script or trigger.

Yeah, it didnt make a difference b.c I was using Cloudsphere, not stormsphere. Thanks for the help buddy.

You can set the default scale to 0.1, min scale to min, and max scale to max, and scale it from there. You could probably also make them flat, scale them so it fits the size of your pond/lake/whatever, and lower them just below ground.

Could you help me on making the stormsphere flat? Pointing me in the direction of a model that has the same utility as stormphere that's also flat would help as well.

Level 11
Yeah, it didnt make a difference b.c I was using Cloudsphere, not stormsphere. Thanks for the help buddy.

Could you help me on making the stormsphere flat? Pointing me in the direction of a model that has the same utility as stormphere that's also flat would help as well.

You can use the Page Up & Page Down keys to raise/lower (flatten) the doodad and the Home & End keys to stretch it left or right.

Status
Not open for further replies.