• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Warcraft III Popularity in the Philippines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
So I'm a pure Filipino living in California, United States. A few years ago I flew to the Philippines for a few months and I was so surprised because my cousins knew what DotA was.

Why is this game so popular over there, even today? Most in the United States moved on from this game. I like how Warcraft has connections to the Philippines, but I'm just curious.

Level 15
Warcraft 3's popularity in the Philippines is really sad if you ask me.

The reason why Warcraft 3 is still and will ever be popular in the Philippines is because of DotA and DotA alone; they confuse Warcraft 3 to DotA believing that DotA is 'the GAME'. It's really annoying but I know a lot of Filipinos here would agree with me. They don't see how Warcraft 3 is great and awesome before maps/mods like DotA came out.

Now I'm not trying to blame DotA for the ignorance (I actually love DotA), but the point is people know it because of DotA not because Warcraft 3 was a bomb and had a really great story, gameplay and features.

They would always refer (if they know what WC 3 is) Warcraft as the one-that-builds-houses, its embarrassing really...

And oh, they don't know that World editor exist... :p

Agree with Ken E.

I wouldn't know the WE existed either... I kept playing the bonus campaign back then. I kept on wondering how there are unselectable black TC pig farms in the Durotar city. I thought that there must be some way to customize stuff. Then I searched the internet and learnt it was inside the WC3 folder. :eek:

Back on topic; my classmates know only DotA too. :[
They don't know whatever else is in the Wc3 folder.

Level 30
It got popular because of tournaments, street gambles, and can kill time as long as a regular lunch break, that gave enough wildfire to produce so many sponsors(computer shops, merchandise, feed backs) here including our international gaming group 'Mineski'.

It used to be Counter Strike back at the 90's and 2000's, also today's popularity in the University Belt is Dota 1 & 2.

Level 10
some guy did invite me to 1v1 me while we and my friends were playing in altered melee
I said I wanted sum melee
he was like "this game is stupid and so is ur recommendation lol 420 blaze it fite me in dota"

Level 5
In my school, I am the only one who plays Warcraft 3 and the World Editor. The game addicts in my school love LoL, DoTA 2, Garena and stuff like that. Sometimes I dislike LoL, because I think that it is just a fag that imitated the wonderful ideas of DoTA.

My first time in opening World Editor is when I was still seven years old, I didn't know ANYTHING about World Editor so, I just place random units in the maps and make them battle each other. I didn't know what it is, so I just think that it is fun.

Level 5
Because of the World Editor and all the stuff' in it, I questioned myself. Was the original Warcraft 3 campaigns made from the World Editor?

I played Warcraft 3 custom melee maps once with a Korean friend. He never played it before but he is good at it, building many buildings and trained a lot of troops. We were allies, it was 2 vs one computer AI on Insane mode. We didn't survive the Computer's attacks, because it was too strong for the both us (I am an amateur and he was a noob). We got defeated. His base was destroyed first then after that my base got destroyed too.

We had loads of fun. When he created his first hero the Blademaster, I killed it, angering him and killing my Paladin. But that was just for fun

After playing, he said that the game was fun, he liked the way that you create buildings and troops and use them to attack the enemy.

Last time I saw him in the computer shop was two days ago, he was playing custom melee maps, practicing, hoping to defeat me. He was with another Korean friend, introducing him to the game. They were fighting an AI programmed on Normal mode. I immediately joined them.

Me and the two Koreans, devised a strategy on defeating the enemy. The two Koreans were Orcs so, I was forced to go to the back lines while they were on the front. They made me build a base near the enemy's base. We made a perimeter. We surrounded the enemy's base, I attacked the unit producing buildings while they attack the defending troops.

It was fun. I hope that all people will play and understand the game Warcraft 3 as we did.

Level 23
Custom games are pretty popular here in Cebu. or maybe more specifically, here in Lapu-lapu city. But Dota is still a very dominant game. I've seen kids visit epic war and modding forums to download maps (like some kind of Vampire wars map, naruto and bleach arena maps, that map where you have to defend Moomoo or his girlfriend from waves of enemies, and element TD) but they aren't into modding. The keywords "hiveworkshop maps" is even in most caches in internet cafe so that must mean they visit hive frequently to download maps as well. They only play custom games via LAN though because of the fact that most WarCraft III's in cafes are not Legit. Some of my classmates have touches the world editor but they found it a bit tedious.

Level 3
@TheGreatJoshua, I also did that. xD
I was like 7 or so... i pitted units that looks the same but on different races (ue: Knight = Raiders, Footmens = Grunts, etc)

Back to the Topic,
DotA is the one being famed here in the Philippines even though it's just a map, that's runing on the glorious Wc3, And true some of the guys called it.

"What?, you play that, You only build houses there",

I am ashamed that the map was the one famed instead of the real game...

Status
Not open for further replies.