• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Your opinion - A map with only WoW tetxures and models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

So we have a few maps in our data base using only WoW resources.
However, they seem, from my own limited point of view without any
constructive statistics, majorly not successful.

I would like to hear your opinion about the excessive use of WoW resources
in a Warcraft 3 map.
Do you like the WoW style in general, do you see drawbacks
( except the high file size) and would what would you like more:
A Wc3 map with Wc3 resources or a Wc3 map with WoW resources,
with exactly the same game features and gameplay.

Any constructive input is appreciated :)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Probably because WoW Resources are way too good for warcraft 3? I don't know either.
Hm, but what if the whole map, like everything, consists of WoW-like stuff ?
So you don't have any trace of Wc3.
What would you say then ?

Hm, an a bit off-topic comparison could be Dota 2, there you have a different style, too.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

as for an example, i think andreariona did a pretty good job on managing the usage of the wow resources for her map.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

as for an example, i think andreariona did a pretty good job on managing the usage of the wow resources for her map.
Yes, these are the maps I have in scope.
I saw them hosted now and then, but not hyped, so I wondered whether the choice of resources is related to that and to what extend, or whether other points, like their gameplay and features, are involved.

Level 24
It is fugly when you use a mixture of both.
Having a WC3 paladin stand next to a WoW archmage... bleh.

But having a map with only high quality and high detailed resources can be good.
As long as the quality of gameplay and perfection of user input are there, then I recommend using high quality resources as well.

If you have a very simple map, then high quality resources do not boost the quality of the map (at all).

So... it all depends on which map with which features.
Some maps are better off with WC3, others are better off with high quality.

In my opinion, the map size is also a bit of a quality limit.
If you have a rather bad map (not as good as the top ones) then you should not have a huge filesize.
If you have a map that is perfected in every aspect, I dont care how large it is, as long as it is below 5GB, I'd play that map.

8MB filesize limit can be bypassed by local files or the wc3 8mb bypass hack.
So that is not a subject to talk about.

Level 25
Andreariona made several maps, and they're pretty cool. She managed to make every unit/doodad use WoW ripped ones in the maps but she reduced the sizes by optimizing the models and removing geosets. APproject also make maps using a lot of WoW rips and high definition models, still being successful.

What others do though, is that they just blindly put them in, without optimizing them resulting in a very laggy gameplay.

Roland

R

Roland

It's awesome to have a Warcraft 3 Map that has a ton amount of World Of Warcraft Models, Although the problem is the Size and the lack of optimization of Each and every Ripped resources..

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Thanks for your input guys!

@Wietlol: Yeah, a mix of is a horrible idea. As Chen pointed out, Andreariona managed to
optimize WoW models for WC3 use and I think about doing the same for my map project.
I think my map project does fit WoW resources, but some small tests can easily give a result to that.

About the optimization process, it is off-topic, but I think WoW models are much more complex
than they could/should be. One could, with patience, reduce the polygon count to
around the half without or hardly noticing any drawbacks. Most likely one can also reduce the texure
quality and thus the texture file size.
@Warseeker: This would also more or less solve that problem, if done intelligently.

Level 28
I dunno, most of the maps I've seen using WoW models are offputting, mostly because of the clashing styles (and not just units, terrain and doodads as well). There's even a few where the game crashes because of unforeseen actions (like cutting down a WoW tree that doesn't have the appropriate animation).

Also, not really seeing the point of a map if all it does is look prettier.

Status
Not open for further replies.